Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

CNDIS Reception vs SIS PY1

waiee is offline Registered User

CNDIS Reception vs SIS PY1

My son got accepted by both CNDIS Reception class and SIS PY1. Does anyone studying in either school? I surf on forum and seems most of ppl talk about SIS but less talk about CNDIS, just wonder which school is more "popular"? Thanks!!!

sunrays is offline Registered User

I assume CNDIS means Canadian International School?? Depends what you want for your child. SIS has a very strong Mandarin programme which you won't get at CNDIS. The curriculum is from Singapore so there are exams twice a year starting at P1...unless that has changed. I don't think CNDIS will have this. SIS has kids mainly from Singapore, China and locals....CNDIS will be more of a mixture so think about how your child will fit in. "Popular" probably depends on who you talk to.

Thanks sunrays!

In fact, my dream school is GSIS, but my son hasn't gone thru the interview yet, and besides we need to reply CNDIS and SIS by next week.

We want our child to have a fluent English speaking skills as we're Cantonese. I would say his language is our first concern, so besides English, Mandarin is important too. Academic would be the least that we would focus on. Since I was studying and living in Toronto before, I may send my kid to Toronto, so I prefer CNDIS. But after looking up the forum, I can't see anyone talk about CNDIS and even I've seen some bad comments about it, so it change my mind. Anyway, thanks for your advise!

yonge is offline Registered User

I hear from my former Sunday school students that there's been a recent (stronger) push to improve the academic reputation at CDNIS and their facilities are pretty amazing, especially their music program. I should also add that all my former Sunday school students from CDNIS are incredibly well adjusted, so I do think very well of the school. My son goes to PY1 at SIS, as we were looking more for a strong English and Mandarin program, although we do speak a mixture of languages (English, Mandarin and Cantonese) at home, too as my husband's from HK/Singapore and I'm from the States. Our son loves it there and thinks it's loads of fun. No exams yet and as they're doing the IB there now, I don't think the exam schedule will be the same as what they have in Singapore. It's definitely more ethnically Chinese, including Eurasians, but I suppose that the bilingual curriculum plays a big part in that. We figure that he gets to socialize plenty with locals/foreigners in different languages at home, church, playgroups and other activities. Hope this helps!

Yonge, Thanks so much for your valuable info.

For your knowledge and experience, in terms of English speaking skill, do u think the kids in SIS can speak fluent English as those in CNDIS? Would they tend to speak more like "Hong Kong style" English or "Singalish"? Since my English isn't good enough, I would like to send my son to somewhere that have fluent English speaking environment, cuz accent is my major concern.

Anyway, thanks for telling me some "good side" of CNDIS. At least it seems not that bad, when compared to other IS.