Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Elizabeth Pantley or Ferber method?

crystal88 is offline Registered User

Elizabeth Pantley or Ferber method?

Which one worked for you?

Elizabeth Pantley's no cry solution or Ferber's crying out loud?

My baby is 10 months old and wakes up every 2-3 hours at night to bf, longest stretch of sleep is 3.5 hours, i am SO exhausted now......i tried Pantley's method for 1 week now and the situation goes from bad to worst as baby is mad if i shorten the bfeeding session. He is tired and sleepy but the moment if put him in his own cot, he wakes up and cries.

I was thinking of doing the Ferber's method now. I know there are lots of thread on crying out loud here, but just want to know which method works for you.

Thanks......sleep deprived mom for 10 months

carang is offline Registered User

one week might still not be long enough.

i understand completely. my daughter was almost 3 before she slept through on a regular basis (she started waking up when she was about 6 months or so)

southside852 is offline Registered User

there will be so many opinions on this post - there always are when it comes to sleep training as i just posted about my never-ending journey to sleep train my now 26 month year old. everyone will give their 2 cents so take what you are comfortable with and with what works well for you and your baby.

personally, when my son was in a crib (birth-20 months), ferberizing was the best. we tried the "shhhing" method and no cry solution, but it didn't work for him for everytime we went in, he thought it was playtime and agitated him even more.

Additionally, my HK and US pediatrician said that by 6-7 months, your baby should not need any feeds during the night. They have enough during the day to sustain themselves. It was hard for us to cut out a feed (we were giving water) and the only way we did it was through ferberizing him. After 2 nights - he didn't need it anymore.

carang is offline Registered User

totally agree... it has to be something YOU are comfortable with, to heck with everyone else.

LeahH is offline Registered User

Also - every baby is different, what works for one, may not work for another. Try things and see what works for you and your baby.

there is a great book and support website that is called babysleepanswers.co.uk. you buy it, get an immediate download pdf version and then the book arrives.

It outlines ALL the methods (in summary form) so you don't have to spend millions buying the huge range of books out there. you can also post on the site and get answers on your specific problems.

I happen to have two kids that responded extremely well to CIO/controlled crying. One bottle fed with EBM (at 5.5 months), one BF (at 7 months).

What I would say is that the older the child, the more challenging CIO can be as a process. A 10 month old will have more energy and 'will' than a 6 month old.

With my BF child I was concerned that hunger would be a factor. Therefore for the first 3-4 nights, I gave him a big bottle of EBM then finished off with a BF for comfort just to make sure.

Good luck

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

My daughter is a pretty good sleeper, but sometimes at night she wakes - and since she's already had 5 hrs of sleep (she usually wakes around 1am), she is pretty chirpy and doesn't want to go back to bed. I've tried bringing her into our bed, walking with her, a bunch of different things - but the ONLY thing that really allows her AND us to get back to sleep without being up for 2 hrs or more is if we put her in bed and let her have a bit of a tantrum for 10 minutes until she settles down. I think she's more mad at us for putting her in bed rather than being scared or anything like that... I wish there was an easier way in that situation to get her back to bed painlessly, but for us - it seems to be that, or stay up for 2 or 3 hrs until she's tired again...

Lisainhk is offline Registered User

Ohhh I hope baby sleeps more for you soon! My boy (6 months old) used to sleep fairly well, taking 2 hour naps and waking just once during the night. Then he started waking every 1.5 hours at night and only sleeping 45 mins at a time during the day. I was too scared to try the cry it out method because I didn't want him to feel rejected but after 2 months of this bad sleep pattern I couldn't handle it anymore. So I started the Ferber method and have been doing it for 4 days now. His naps are now 2.5 hours long! And he has woken maximum 2 times at night so far (much better than 6!). The longest he cried was for 45 mins which was a looongg time but today he took a nap without crying at all which totally shocked me as I used to BF him to sleep every time and if I put him in his cot awake he would scream. If you try the Ferber method just remember that you are doing it for baby, teaching him good sleeping skills. Baby will survive a little crying. :) Plus I spy on him to make sure he is not stuck in an awkward position and if his crying gets crazy I go in and pat him and leave again. I can't just do it cold turkey.
    I hope you find what works best for you!

mosmom is offline Registered User

To answer your question straight: Elizabeth Pantley
    I couldn't have used Ferber's method, so I didn't even bother to try.

I have bub no. 2 now and have been getting up every 2-3 hours at night for the past.. uhmm.. 2.5 years.. I just make sure I get my 8h sleep, although it gets interrupted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast