Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What to feed bub with diarrhea!?! I'm running low on breastmilk!

kyojee is offline Registered User

What to feed bub with diarrhea!?! I'm running low on breastmilk!

Hi!

My 10 month old is having a bout of diarrhea, and had been having watery stools for the past 2 days. My ped advised to stop all formula (even lactose free ones) and cut down on solids. His advice was to give water, rehydrating fluid, breastmilk and a little cereal. Lacteol fort was also given. The gist of it is to keep bub hydrated and not hungry. He's against giving too much solids as it could cause a tummy upset if bub is unable to digest them properly.

Problem is: She had refused water and rehydration fluids, and my supply is running low. EEkkkksss!

I don't know how else to keep her hydrated! Would a lactose free formula and juices aggravate the diarrhea? I had researched on various baby websites and received different advices. Your sharing of experience would be much appreciated!!!

Also, if anyone knows of where to purchase fenugreek pills (am hoping to increase my supply) do drop a line!

Thank you....

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    My doctor recommended cereal, banana and a little apple when my toddler had diarrhea. We also gave him lactose free milk formula as well as water. If you feel that your milk supply is reducing then I'd suggest that you express after every feed (or instead of a feed if you are giving formula for that feed). Expressing certainly helped me increase supply.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

Galactagogue to help increase your milk supply

The two most famous galactagogues are fenugreek and domperidone (a prescription is required). Dr. Jack Newman has hand outs about these at:

Fenugreek, http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/24pdf.pdf
    Scroll down to the heading, Herbs for Increasing Milk Supply

Domperidone, http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/D...ombinedpdf.pdf

For fenugreek capsules try:

Integrated Medicine Institute,
    17/Fl., Kailey Tower,
    16 Stanley Street,
    Central.
    Tel : 2523 7121 2523 7121
    Fax: 2537 1833
    Web site: IMI - Integrated Medicine Institute

Healthgate,
    8/F., Hung Tak Building,
    106-108 Des Voeux Road Central,
    Central.
    Tel: 2545 2286 2545 2286
    Fax: 2854 0770
    Web site: Health Gate - Hong Kong's premier organic health good store since 1992

Drinking fenugreek tea may not give you a big enough dose to increase your supply. Dosages of less than six capsules per day often produce no effect. One way to determine if you're taking the correct dosage is to slowly increase the amount of fenugreek until your sweat and urine begin to smell like maple syrup. The maple syrup smell tells you that you are at he right dosage.

If you notice any side effects (loose stools and nausea are the commonest but also skin reactions) discontinue use and consider an alternative method of increasing milk supply.

Avoid fenugreek if you have a history of:

* Peanut or chickpea allergy
    * Diabetes or hypoglycaemia
    * Asthma
    * Abnormal menstrual cycles
    * Migraines
    * Blood pressure problems or heart disease

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    Last edited by LLL_Sarah; 02-24-2010 at 08:15 AM.
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

Other Methods of Increasing Milk Supply

Two techniques that can be helpful to increase your milk supply are Breast Compression and Switch Nursing.

Dr. Jack Newman also explains how to do Breast Compression on his web site,

Breast Compression at http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/15pdf.pdf

He also has video clips on his website, Breastfeeding Articles by Dr. Jack Newman - Breastfeeding Online, which can be useful.
    Compression
    Compression Two
    show the Breast Compression technique.
    (Scroll down to the heading Breast Compression)

Another good technique is Switch Nursing. Switch nursing is changing to the other side when the baby no longer seems interested. Usually when we start feeding the baby is very interested to suck, as the baby slows down we start the breast compression and when the baby slows down with the breast compression we change and get the baby to have the other side. On the other side after the baby starts to slow down we again use the breast compression and when he slows down again swap back to the first side again. We can continue swapping sides as much as we like and for as long as the baby is willing to continue to suck. It is fine to swap sides 8, 9 or 10 times in one feed.

Remember that breastfeeding works on the demand and supply principal. So your body replaces the milk taken out. Thus to increase your supply you want the baby to suck on your emptying breast - so when you think you have no milk left is the best time to get the baby to suck. If the baby isn't co-operative then a breast pump at this time can help.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Is your supply low anyway because he takes bottles usually too? If so...hmm, that is some bad luck. The same thing happened to my boy at around that age, but with vomiting instead. I basically force fed him the rehydration fluid (which he hated the taste of) with a medicine dropper. Then got him to take as many sips of water as possible. You have to keep on him like a hound.
    For diarrhea, it should be ok just to give him congee, or plain white rice. Bananas puree should be fine too. Also plain white bread (no crust) is good at `stopping` things up in his bowels, as well as providing the nutrition. Basically any `white` carbs are ok, as they are very easy to digest. You can just give him some solids little by little, and see how he reacts, then build up to more if he can handle it.
    Also since you have been increasing your breastfeeding times, within a few days hopefully your supply should increase.

Tini is offline Registered User
    I agree with Shenzhennifer, would give congee and rice only. Both are very good. Grated apple with grated carrots is very helpful too in this case but I don't know what foods you have introduced to your little one already. Fruits I would rather give in moderation not to upset his stomach even more.

myriam is offline Registered User
    Hello,

I had this problem too when my baby had bad diarrhea. He too rejected the dehydration fluids, but would drink them if given in a lactaion aid (supplementing tube).

I also gave him soy formula in addition to breastmilk as I too had to supplement due to low supply. For the first day I gave him just rice water, that is you cook rice with lots of water and give him the white water (and breast milk).

Twice my little one lost a lot of weight through diarrhea but he gained it back.

Good luck!

myriam

kyojee is offline Registered User
    Hi all!

It's day 5 and things got better yesterday and somehow worse today... i don't know what's going on, but doc said she might have developed a temporary lactose intolerance (which could last 1-2 weeks) during this diarrhea episode, and told me that breastfeeding (breastmilk contains lactose) might in fact be causing her condition to aggravate. oh my... i'm so torn now if I should to continue breastfeeding.

she took on the rehydration fluid fine (i added a bit of apple juice to get her on to it at first, and later removed it...) and now she seems to love the rehydration fluid so much that she would actually initiate to hold her own bottle (never with formula before...)

I don't think my supply did not increase much through increased nursing (actually am down with a flu myself, sighhh....) and as per Sarah's advice, I did check out fenugreek, but I decided not to take it as I have a history of extreme irregular menstrual cycles. I pumped literally nothing! So depressing... argghhh =(

fingers crossed that things would get better. she's a really slim baby, I can't bear to see her turn into a skinny one. Will continue giving plain congee, bananas and a bit of white toast + rehydration fluid + lacteol fort. Still unsure if i should continue with breastfeeding or to offer some lactose-free formula or do a mixture. it would be hard to stop bf so suddenly as she's so comforted by the boob.

will keep things posted here, so moms could use it for a reference! (touch wood of course, hopefully you won't need to.)
    Last edited by kyojee; 02-26-2010 at 01:08 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast