Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

adjusting as a stay-home-mom

purple1 is offline Registered User

adjusting as a stay-home-mom

How do other stay-home-moms spend their day and stay active physically and intellectually?
    I have a one year old baby but being in HK with the luxury of live-in helpers, I sometimes find it hard to kill time. The baby doesn't mind playing the same games or going to the same playground and taking the same walk everyday but I am getting bored. I also wanted to use my brain more -- trying to teach a one year old basic words and color is not very intellectually challenging. And I never enjoyed domestic activities like cooking or knitting. Just want to know how other moms deal with this.

Sleuth is offline Registered User

A 1YO is pretty easy to take just about anywhere. Why do you play the same games, use the same playground, take the same walk?
    What about going to a museum? More intellectual for you and the baby will just like to see the new sights and be with you.
    And, if you have a helper, there are an untold number of lessons you could take--language exchanges in many languages (not just the obvious Canto), groups of various types/interests you could join.
    And there are only about a zillion playgroup posts on this website.

yonge is offline Registered User

When I used to be nursing the baby, I used to listen to podcasts, which are available in just about every subject of interest. However, I do try not to tune in when he's not nursing/asleep. When playing music with him, I started making up harmonies and changing the keys for fun. My husband actually picked up the guitar, which the children love to strum. There's a very baby-friendly museum called the Stephen Hui Geological Museum at the HKU campus which is open to the public in the afternoons only. There's a rock display area and fake fossils that they can touch. When I find myself home-bound, I play the Nintendo Wii Fit Plus, which is surprisingly baby friendly - they even have a function to let you weight the baby with you. It's great exercise and helps to improve coordination, which even my 4 year old can appreciate. :) Finally, I like to entertain like crazy - especially with a helper who can do the dishes! That way, I get to spend time with friends and our children can be safely entertaining one another in our home. We're going through a parenting workbook with one other couple on alternating Friday nights and conducting music practice with a few other people on the other Friday nights. Hope this helps to generate some ideas!

pixelelf is offline Registered User

the whole goodness of being able to stay at home, is so that we can have fun looking after our little ones :) in my own experience (i say that because i know flashcards have worked very well for many families) my child remembered and connected better when we are out and about. for example, when we go to a park, i would point out the sky is blue, tree is green, flowers are red etc. he learnt the colors by realli seeing and touching and smelling. so you dun have to be stuck at home "teaching" them stuff. you can do manageable hikes with the baby to reservoirs.

you can set up a reading/craft/painting club for like minded mummies. invite them over with their children. and while the adults share their interest, you can craft a section of time, suitable for the babies to join in. for example, if it's a reading club, each mum can get to storytell a certain child's book every week.

if one doesnt want to meet our people in reality, there's always a virtual set up. blogs! heh heh!

enjoy being a sahm!

Thanks didn't know about the HKU museum will check it out. I couldn't think of any child friendly museums in HK! We live in southside and taking 1yr old out means a long and costly taxi ride, which I try to do at least once a week. In our neighborhood there's pretty much just one route to walk around. Beach would be a nice option as weather gets warmer.
    Interest group/club...how about non-traditional ones like stock picking, world news discussion, investment clubs? Think anyone would be interested?

carang is offline Registered User

my kids LOVE going on public transport! why not get on a bus for a ride? that would be an adventure in and of itself. choose a route, get on, go to the end and then get off and find a place for a bite to eat and then go home again.

1 yr olds don't need anything fancy... life is the adventure and showing your little one that there are many things out there to see and do.

today, i've been in bed with a pulled neck muscle and high as a kite on pain meds, but my helpers had to go to the city to pick up an ID card and my new passport. they took my 3 year old with them. the trip consisted of: 1 20-minute minibus, a 2nd 20-min minibus, the MTR to wanchai, then the tram to central, MTR back to hang hau and another 20 minute bus ride to sai kung town. my hubby picked them up there.

my daughter had a blast and was so excited to tell me all of the things she did today!

now, i understand that your little one is only 1 year old. but i did that kind of thing with my two kids (2 yrs apart) all the time when they were little.

it can be tiring, but it can also be a wonderful day out and about with your child.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

The other day, I was at the Delifrance at Central Library with my 1 year old and she had a marvelous time chasing the sparrows (she calls them "Birms"). It's amazing the things that they love to do at that age. I'm fascinated to watch her discover the world. When we go out, I point out EVERYTHING to her and she is getting to where she repeats just about any word. She is learning a new word every day. Anything is fun for her - she just loves getting out of the house. Even the grocery store is full of new things to see and touch and explore.

Thanks for all the ideas. I agree many things can keep baby amused. What about you? How do you keep your own mind sane and what do you do to keep your brain active and challenged?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast