Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chronic Back Pain

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

Chronic Back Pain

I posted something about this quite a while ago, but am just hoping for any new experiences or fresh perspectives.

Since late-pregnancy I have experienced back pain in my lower back (mostly). So now it`s going on nearly 1.5 years.

I wentto see a chiropractor for a while; he was good, and it helped a lot. somehow the bones in my pelvic area got a bit screwed up and it`s no longer straight. But the problem is that seeing a chiropractor is remedial, meaning I would have to keep it up (and he`s now moved away and I would have to get a new doctor`s referral and then go once/twice a week, impossible now with a toddler). I have been suggested to see a physiotherapist, but I think it would be the same as the chiropractor: have to see often, good results during treatment, if stopped, pain again.

So, my son is getting heavier, loves his mommy holding him, everything is on the floor it seems, and I want to start to try for #2 soon. But the way I feel now, I wonder how I can do it, when I go to bed each night in pain, wake up each morning in pain, and spend the day in pain...

Does anyone have this problem? Did anything help? What should I do...?

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I've been doing pilates at a physio place and it's been GREAT. I've had very little problems since I started. The aim of the pilates is to build up your core muscles so that it prevents the problem, rather than fixing it once you have the pain. I 100% recommend it. The place I go to is called Posture Plus and it's $500 a session but fortunately my medical insurance pays for it. If you don't have insurance that would cover it, you could try pilates somewhere cheaper.

I also have mild scoliosis, that's probably the root cause of my problems. They got worse with pregnancy and looking after a newborn. Now I have NO pain at all though. I'm currently pregnant and I'm still going - but hopefully the pain free back lasts all through this pregnancy!!

Man I sound like an ad, don't I? I should get commission... ;)

louisouis is offline Registered User
    Have your tried acupuncture? I had very bad sciatica before and physiotherapy did not help, I just felt slightly better after 1 session and then it resumes, and I tried several other methods and they did not help. Acupuncture managed to clear it up! It may be scary to have all the needles but it is definitely worth it!

Honkyblues is offline Registered User
    I had back problems with my first and second pregnancies, and now it's starting again halfway through my third pregnancy. Mainly sacroiliac strain, but also hip problems (my left leg 'giving way' unexpectedly) due to L4 lumbar displacement.

With my second pregnancy, I started seeing a very good chiro (in Central and at the HK Football Club). I was in serious danger of slipping a disc, and like you was constantly carrying a toddler around which was not helping the problem. But she also recommended exercise to help strengthen my core muscles. For me, it was swimming and pilates.

I would suggest you start seeing a chiro again and ask for a core strengthening regime specific to your requirements. For example, my chiro forbade me to do breaststroke, as she said that would put too much pressure on my lower back. She encouraged backstroke, back sculling and I even learned to swim front crawl which (if done properly) really makes you focus on your core stability as you swim.

Originally, I was seeing the chiro 2-3 times a week, but that reduced to once a week and then once a fortnight (much less time-consuming) once I began to build some stabilising muscles and once the remedial chiropractic adjustments took hold.

This pregnancy my previous efforts to strengthen my core have definitely helped. I was actually not allowed to exercise between wk 9 and 18 - on my OB's orders - because of a haematoma in my uterus - but I'm only seeing the chiro every fortnight still.

A word of warning about pilates though - my chiro originally recommended it because its premise is about core strength. But she didn't realise how much stretching I was doing in the pilates class. Bad, bad, bad! The stretching was actually de-stabilising my sacroiliac joint and quite a few of the pilates exercises were putting too much pressure on my lower back. Because of the relaxin levels during pregnancy, stretching can be quite harmful if you have back problems.

So do check with your chiro what SPECIFIC pilates exercises he/she would recommend for your particular case.

I really hope you can find a solution to ease your pain.
    Most often, there's no 'cure' for back problems - but you can alleviate them with the right treatment.

best of luck!
    Honkyblues
    PS. if anyone wants to see a good chiro in Central, I recommend Dr Heidi Petrick, 2234 9668.

With my pilates, as SOON as I knew I was pregnant, I told my physio and she immediately stopped doing some of the exercises we'd been doing previously. I do think it's "better" to go to a physio because they tend to know more than just a pilates fitness instructor - but I also know they are more expensive as well... but on the other hand, insurance is more likely to pay for it.

So this is the list so far - pilates, chiro, physio, acupuncture.

I know my insurance won`t pay for pilates and I live very far from pilates land (HK island and TST) so it wouldn`t be easy to go anyway. Nicolejoy, you should definitely get a commission, you nearly sold me!
    I already have a doctor`s note for physio which my insurance will cover (at least partially)...maybe I should try that. Honkyblues, I also got treatment on my L4 at the chiro. I know it`s definitely something wrong in my hip\pelvic area. I can just feel the imbalance.
    Louisouis - does your insurance cover acupuncture? How much is it normally per session? Is acupuncture remedial or can one session work?
    I need to do something!

I'm going to my physio today. I'll ask her if she knows of anywhere out your side that does pilates/physio kind of stuff... (I'll try to remember!!)

I found a place naer here (canadian asian neck and back institute and they have pilates and many physiotherapists there. Am waiting for someone to return my phone call though. I just want to know about the first consultation\assessment and what will happen (and how much). basically I want to know if I can bring my son:) Maybe you can let me know how your appt goes today~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast