Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

9 month old no longer sleeps through

sassy is offline Registered User

Red face 9 month old no longer sleeps through

Hi all,
    My 9 month old daughter has always been a great sleeper until recently. We went away at christmas (UK) and took a long time to get her back to a normal sleeping pattern but she's never really been as good as before. She wakes up a few times per night, has a little breast feed and goes back to sleep but recently it's gotten worse... she wakes more frequently and out of desperation we've (probably wrongly) allowed her to go back to sleep in our bed as she sleeps better there. This is getting to be more and more of a habit and I want to nip it in the bud but I don't really understand what's causing her to wake so much. She also has a formula feed before bed which she has stopped finishing where as before she used to finish it with gusto!!!
    Any ideas or advice?
    Thanks!!!!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Oh I feel your pain! My daughter was like that but at 7 months - also we were away on a holiday and she started waking at night, 2-3 times... It only got better when I weaned her at 14 months. I don't know if it was the weaning her, or if she just grew out of it. I tried to do a few different things to see if it would help but in the end, it was easier to just feed her and put her back to bed and she'd go back to sleep.

I really don't know what the solution is - nothing worked in my case... but I comforted myself by knowing that it wouldn't last forever...

sassy is offline Registered User
    Thanks nicolejoy! Good to hear I'm not alone!

LeahH is offline Registered User
    some babies are very 'suggestible' and can go from being great sleepers to waking all the time so quickly. Often a big trip, jet lag or illness can prompt it.

Around 4 months, my son suddenly started waking every 2 hours ... I would BF him to settle him, and from there he 'forgot' how to put himself to sleep and developed a strong waking habit. This went on for for the next 2 months until I decided I would have to do something...

We did controlled crying - took 3 days or so and he is a champion sleeper now - a huge release for all of us and a much happier and well rested baby.