Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

playgroup / child care system in HK

tesa is offline Registered User

playgroup / child care system in HK

hi there

since my partner just signed a new work contract in HK we will be moving there in August. We have a 1 year old daughter (she will be 14 months by then) and I was wondering how the whole day care system before kindergarten works..

I read a lot on the forum which gave me a rough idea of how it?s structured but there are still some questions. I would like to send my daughter to a day care starting at her being 18 months old. Ideally I?m looking for an institution based on Montessori or Steiner, but I?m not to fussed about that.

Anyway, we haven?t decided where to live yet, so at that point we could see where there are the most options and move there. My partner works at the Airport, so it shouldn?t be more than an hour of commute per way.

Ok here are my questions :)

1/ Is it common that all children need to be accompanied by a parent or helper? I would like to go back to working and we don?t want a live in helper so that would be not ideal. Is there quality day care (half day) where I wouldn?t need to be there as well?

2/ Are there any areas which have especially great PGs? (ok, great might be a little hard to define ;)) We are considering moving to Lamma Island. I only found one on the internet, are there more?

3/ Is there something like a PG overview / link list available?

4/ We are both native German speakers but would like her to learn English. Does anyone has experience how the little ones at that age adjust to a new language? Would she feel lost if she couldn?t understand the other kids or carers? How long would it take her to pick up English?

Thanks so much for any help, much appreciated!

Teresa

carang is offline Registered User

first off, there is no such thing as daycare in hong kong, with the exception of a couple of places run by the gov't or charity.

if your child is under the age of 3, many playgroups (mine included) require a parent/helper etc to accompany the child due to licensing requirements.

there are a few SCHOOL/KINDERGARTENS/NURSERIES that will accept children from the age of 2. this is usually only for a 1/2 day, but some will take for the whole day.

as for language, your child will most likely not be verbal by 14 months, she will understand some of what you are saying to her, so it is the PERFECT time to introduce a new language. that language could be english, or you could put her into a bi-lingual school and have her learn chinese as well! what a great opportunity for her!

StareBear is offline Registered User

Also don't rule out having a live in helper. Like many others before we moved to Hong Kong we could not imagine having someone live with us and thought it would be intrusive, awkward etc etc. But having had an excellent live-in helper for the last 6 months, I really think having a helper is one of the best things about living in Hong Kong. We will relocate to Australia in the next few months and leaving our helper will be the hardest part, particulalry as she really loves our daughter and takes great care of her.

MsHongKong is offline Registered User

Your helper?

Hi StareBear - we recently arrived here in HK and are looking for a live-in domestic helper. Would your domestic helper be available for an interview? Please PM me if we can arrange to meet her. I don't mind waiting a few months to get someone who has experience with expats and young children. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by StareBear View Post
    Also don't rule out having a live in helper. Like many others before we moved to Hong Kong we could not imagine having someone live with us and thought it would be intrusive, awkward etc etc. But having had an excellent live-in helper for the last 6 months, I really think having a helper is one of the best things about living in Hong Kong. We will relocate to Australia in the next few months and leaving our helper will be the hardest part, particulalry as she really loves our daughter and takes great care of her.