Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Trip to Singapore during Easter

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I've also gone in friends' cars with no car seat, but they CAN get fined for it. So even though it was ok since we didn't get caught, they could get a fine if they WERE caught... so up to you (and whoever is driving) if they want to risk it...

carey is offline Registered User
    Thank you Southside and Nicolejoy for your helpful reply.
    We would just be taking cabs.

The big drawback for singapore is the weather. I am keeping my fingers crossed because we are planning to stay at sentosa for two days.

In terms of dressing the baby, I heard that you should cover the baby's skin from the sun. I am concerned that he might be overheated with long sleeves.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    The weather is not really hotter than any other `hot` country I have been here. It`s just really really humid so you feel that muggy sweaty feeling a lot. But I would much rather be out in Singapore heat than HK heat. At least Singapore has loads of greenery, unlike the urban areas here.
    In cabs, baby seats are not needed, just like here.

Sazzy is offline Registered User
    You can buy a fan which attaches to the stroller - this should keep the baby cool

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I didn't do long sleeves, I think being cool is more important than potential sun damage. If you keep the hood of the stroller down and/or put sunblock on them, I don't think it really matters. But my girl is half Chinese and has darker skin than me - she's been in the sun quite a bit and has never been even slightly burnt... Sunburn is a big deal for kids though and definitely worth avoiding!! But overheating can be a big deal too so if you DO want long sleeves, maybe go for something loose and cotton, and just that one layer.

The fan on the stroller idea didn't work for my daughter. At first she was scared of it, and then after she got used to it, she thought it was a toy and would grab it and chew on it ;)

carey is offline Registered User
    Hi Shenzhenifer, you are right. Summer is very hot here in Hong Kong and this part of the Mainland. But we usually avoid going out in hot weather that's why I am a bit concerned if we have to be out and about that much.

What lightweigh stroller did you take? We have an Orbit which is huge and it would take up most of the space in the trunk. But I don't want to invest loads of money on a lightweigh stroller just for this trip. He is on the big side (10 month, 12kg). I would image he would grow out of any lightweigh stroller quickly.

Which means I need to buy a stroller that's cheap and with a big sun sun hood. Any suggestions on this?

Thank you very much

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    To put things into perspective :) Singapore is like HK in the summer. Just that you'll be out and about more so the baby will get hot (there are more trees in Singapore tho). For us, we find that short sleeves work best for us. Even with that, the baby came back with slight rashes on her back.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Carey - Yes, you definitely will be outside more than in HK...but I still find Singapore easier to handle, maybe less pollution.
    For the stroller, we actually have quite a lightweight Combi (about 4 kgs) so we`ve never had the need for a different one. But if so, I would just buy one of those cheapie umbrella strollers that even if you just used for the summer, that`s enough use. Your baby`s size would work in his advantage because usually it`s the older babies and toddlers who sit in those. I remember last year Toys R Us had a really cheap one, but I don`t know if it`s out yet. Eugene always has them, but their brands are a bit more `namebrand` therefore expensive. I would find a local Chinese shop for that if you can.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast