Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Best Baby Carriers for HK

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    I am planning on making my own slings. I checked on the web, and seems pretty easy to make. For ring slings, for example, all you need is the fabric, and a pair of strong rings... Of course, you would need a strong sewing machine.

... By the way... where could I buy a pair of strong rings???? So bad Spotlight (at Megabox) is now closed :-(

Speculator is offline Registered User
    I think it's safer to use a Baby Bjorn. My wife used the a Mesh summer version when we were in HK last summer.

In my opinion, baby slings are dangerous and not very comfortable for the baby. We tried to use a babasling when our second child was born last May but found it covered her face and she looked uncomfortable. We switched to the Mesh Baby Bjorn as soon as she reached the minimum weight.

Here's a safety warning issued last Friday.

Infant Deaths Prompt CPSC Warning About Sling Carriers for Babies
    Last edited by Speculator; 03-15-2010 at 05:57 PM.

peppy5 is offline Registered User
    baby bjorn is great. we used the classic when our baby was born and then the baby bjorn active when he was a few months old. the extra back support was well worth it with the active. we've used ours almost everyday for the first year while in asia.

carey is offline Registered User
    My husband made our own ring sling when I had to carry my little one in a craddle position and walk a lot to put him to sleep. Like you said, it was not difficult to make.

We cut a bed sheet to the desired length and width. As for the rings, that was the hard part. We looked everywhere and we finally found rings that we think were strong enough in our kitchen. We have a cabinet that has rings to hold cups. My husband took the rings out carefully and it worked.

But we only used the sling at home and for putting him to sleep and WE WOULD NEVER USED IT OUTSIDE WHEN WE ARE ON THE MOVE because we know it's not guarantee safe.

I love that sling. But we stop using it to put him to sleep when he was around 5 month old because he was too long for it.

But I still can't tell you where to get your rings. :)

We also have a carrier like the Baby Bjorn. It's by combi and we got it in a second hand store. It gives very good support but the fabric is too thick and it's bulky and hot for the Hong Kong summer.

I am also looking for the perfect sling for this hot summer. My son is 10 month old now and it likes to be carried a lot. Moby wrap amd Maya seems interesting but I like to try it out before I buy it.

Good luck in finding one that suits you.

Thanks Carey. I would like to make my own sling, as I like to DIY a lot, and sometime when stuffs are made by yourself, they are more special. But yes, probably will use it just to carry the baby at home. My mom bought me a Snugli baby carrier anyway, so probably that is what I will use to take my baby outside.

By the way, I think I will make my sling by following this pattern (Free Baby Sling Pattern). It is a baby pouch, so doesn't need ring.

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Speculator View Post
    Here's a safety warning issued last Friday.

Infant Deaths Prompt CPSC Warning About Sling Carriers for Babies
    There is a thread out there on this, but this is pure scare-mongering.
    Fourteen deaths in twenty years, come on.
    And "many" were low-birth weight twins, were preemies or had breathing problems. So, how many normal, healthy babies died from slings over 20 years?

loupou is offline Baby Guru
    We used a sling when they were very young and then from about 4 months until they were about 2, we used the slings they sell in the wet-market, kind of like a traditional Chinese baby-carrier only with plastic clips instead of knots.

I always admire the Indonesian helpers who just use a simple piece of cloth (but know how to knot it).
    Last edited by loupou; 04-20-2010 at 04:59 PM.

Oh, just want to share the baby pouch I made last weekend. I tested it, and is absolutely cat proof!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20-04-2010 18-07-09.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	613  

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast