Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What do you feed your 11 month old?

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

What do you feed your 11 month old?

Just wondering what other mummies feed their 11 month old children....my poor son has officially gotten sick of the congee with mince meat and veggies he has each day. What else can I feed him? I worry about giving him too much of our table food, especially when we go out as it would have too much salt, oil, MSG, or whatever else in it......Thanks!

southside852 is offline Registered User
    we did a ton of annabel karmel recipes - spaghetti bolognese, salmon, tofu, shepherd's pie, cod etc...we would just make bulk of the sauces he liked, freeze them and then use different pastas for dinner to make it more interesting. My son ate cereal for breakfast etc..., we gave him dim sum too which he loved and was a good transition into real food once in awhile. I was a believer in that he's going to have to learn how to eat real food very soon so why not see what he can take. during the week he ate all fresh food prepared by me with low salt etc...so once a weekend, we would give him little pieces of the bao, chung fun and dumplings which he loved.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I just fed my daughter whatever we were eating. There's stuff just about anywhere that she'll eat. Even when we go to sushi, she likes the egg sushi (although she doesn't like the seaweed). I've fed her stuff from all kinds of restaurants and don't worry about the salt/oil/msg. Her fav food would have to be pasta though, with just about any kind of sauce. Although she likes the pasta more than the sauce. I'd be sick of congee too if I had to eat it more than twice (or so) a week!!

carang is offline Registered User
    by the time your child is 1 year old, he/she should be eating everything that you are, but in smaller pieces and smaller quantities...as such, at 11 months, you should be getting pretty close to giving your little one MANY different things.

i have met so many people in hk that only feed their children congee up to 1 year, that they have a VERY hard time getting their kids to eat anything else.

personally, i can't stand congee (both of my kids LOVE it, though) and i can't understand why people here are so stuck on giving it to their kids? it is bland, boring, with not much texture or flavour. that is a sure-fire recipe for a picky eater, i think (could be wrong).

i think experimenting with food is fantastic. it opens so many doors to so many cultures/tastes/flavours. i thought it was awesome that my 2.5 year old LOVED salmon sashimi WITH wasabi!

don't be afraid to experiment, it's not like your child is going to eat the same things every day for the rest of his/her life. a little bit of salt won't kill them (a lot could damage them). so long as 90% of the food your child eats is not salty, then he/she should be ok.

of course, all of the above is only my opinion, and i'm sure there are many out there who will disagree.

baffelly is offline Registered User
    My 13 mth old actually likes congee. He didn't when he was younger but now it's the easiest thing to feed him as he doesn't like to chew too much. You can make it with different ingredients, like pumpkin, fresh lily bulb, corn, sweet potatoes. I also give him chopped up plain white Chinese noodles in broth with vege, small pasta with tomato or cheese sauce, pasta with lentils, tofu, fish, chopped chicken or pork. Beef casserole is also easy to do.

carang is offline Registered User
    the thing is: your child is eventually going to have to get used to chewing whether he likes it or not, unless he's going to eat purees until he's 50...

that's why i think it is easier to get them to do it when they are younger than whey they are 1.5-2....

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Totally agree with carang. The kids I know who were exposed to a variety of foods with different flavours and textures at a young age seem to be much less picky eaters than those who weren't. As long as there is no choking hazard like whole nuts or things that they are allergic to, they can try anything at that age in moderation. One of the surprising things that my 16 month old likes is corn on the cob. Her favourite food is berries and she also loves sausages and street food. We don't pur?e anything for her, haven't since she was 8 months or so. It's good for them to experiment and easier for you in the long run if you let them do it young.

baffelly is offline Registered User
    We give our food to baby to try at home at in restaurants and he is always keen to taste and chew them, but just for a few bites. He only got 4 front teeth so far so I believe that's why he does like to chew. My friend had the same experience with her baby and the baby were chewing better after hid molars come out. Eventually, everyone learn to chew.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast