Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Birthing Options in Guangzhou

PregnantGZ is offline Registered User

Birthing Options in Guangzhou

Hi, I am an expat living in mainland China. I am trying to decide whether I should go to Hong Kong to deliver or have my baby here in Guangzhou. Does anyone have any experience with giving birth in Guangzhou? I have heard mixed reports on VIP Birthing Center here in GZ.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    I gave birth at the VIP centre and had a good experience. Not the same as people here in HK or abroad but good enough. I was living in SZ at the time. Can`t beat the price and comfort of the huge private room for sure though. PM me if you want to know more or have any specific questions. I could have imagined trying to get to HK from mainland after my water broke at 5am, and then having to stay there for a month after waiting on papers and passports. I`m definitely glad I did it in GZ bc of my living situation. But the next one I`m now looking forward to HK (if it happens while I`m still here).

lg969 is offline Registered User
    hey there

I am from GZ too and I went to the VIP clinic initially. They are TERRIBLE! the equipment is old and they are simply not expediences enough to tell you is something is wrong. I went to HK after and was soooo happy. of course, you have to pay alot more but u cant put a price on experience and peace of mind. I would definitely not even go back to VIP for a check up.i am now registered at baptist hospital in hk

how many months are you now?

Ig969 - sorry you had a bad impression of the VIP centre. Who was your doctor that was not experienced enough and what did they miss? Their equipment is actually not old, but perhaps you have seen some real state of the art equipment. Are you in the medical profession?
    However, I used to go to HK for all scans. I mean, it's still China.
    Every doctor who has seen my caesarian incision comments on what a good job it is.

lg969 is offline Registered User
    HI There

the docs at VIP ( i forget her name now) said that the baby had down syndrome... that they "thought" that I should terminate. i went to HK and there was nothing wrong with the baby. VIP was also not able to detect that the baby had SUA and could not even see the gender properly. the HK doc told me the baby's gender in a second, spotted the SUA etc and said that the baby is perfectly fine. For weeks, these chinese docs put me under so much stress and all of that was for nothing! granted, i spent so much more in hk but it was worth every penny. they may be good, but just not good enough ...

im happy though that you had a good experience.

will you be going birth in gz again ?

carang is offline Registered User
    you cannot judge whether a doctor is good or not by whether they can detect the sex of the baby.

the fetus moves around and NO good doc will give you a 100% on gender...what is clearly visible one day may not be clearly visible the next.

as for the rest, i can totally understand why your "faith" in the docs there has been shaken.

good luck!

IG969 - Now I understand why you hate them! I was told at a private hospital in SZ that my chances of having a downs baby were 60% (despite the 1:135 result I was given), then a doc at BeiDa in SZ refused to give me a new test becuase I was white and the test was formulated for Asians. I was pretty much out of my mind for a few weeks too, until later when I went to HK for a scan and my wonderful doctor told me that probably there is nothing wrong with the baby. That's beyond terrible that you were advised to abort your baby. I found VIP good, but will never step foot in another third world SZ hospital again.
    As for the sex, yes, sometimes it's not possible to tell bc of the baby's position, and it might have been easier to see at the next scan.

I won't be giving birth in GZ again, mostly because I'm living in HK now. I'm planning to have my 2nd baby in the public system here. It will be interesting to compare the two.