Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Traveling with a new born Canadian on the Mainland

lucy0 is offline Registered User
    Carang,
    Now I am worry, I thought that if one of the parents is local then the child is allowed to have dual citizenship? I am not a permanent resident of HK but I will be in HK for 7 years next year so I thought I can apply for permanent resident next year and have dual citizenship too. Thank you for the clarification.

Cheers,
    Yee

carang is offline Registered User
    yee, there is a difference between permanent residency and citizenship.

hk does not have "citizenship", that belongs to china.

hk DOES have permanent residency. locally born chinese are citizens of china, permanent residents of hong kong.

i am not chinese. i am canadian. i will never be a citizen of china, but i AM a permanent resident of hong kong.

my husband is a citizen of china, AND a PR of hong kong. because HE holds BOTH, then my children are eligible for both.

however, if i was married to a canadian, but we were both PR in hong kong, then our children would NOT be citizens of china.

i am a citizen of canada (and uk, i have 2 passports). my children CAN have dual citizenships, if we apply for a hk passport for them. my husband doesn't want to do that right now. he ONLY wants the canadian passport for them. HOWEVER, they are still PR of hong kong.

does that make any sense at all?

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    My husband was born here but renounced his Chinese citizenship 10+ years ago when the handover was happening, so he kept his Australian citizenship and he kept his HK permanent ID card, but it was "downgraded" to the kind that an expat will get after 7 years - he has to come back every 3 years or he can lose it, and he's not eligible for a HK passport etc... BUT when my daughter was born, just because she has Chinese blood, she was given Chinese citizenship (which we don't even want as neither of us have it). The same thing happened to a Singaporean friend - just because her kid has chinese blood, she was also given Chinese citizenship at birth regardless of the nationality of the parents (neither of which is a Chinese citizen). So I think that the citizenship is totally based on blood, not nationality.

lucy0 is offline Registered User
    Thank you all for the clarification. This is what I understood from your posts: I am also a Canadian, I was not born in HK but my husband was born in HK therefore both my children can apply for the Chinese citizenships and PR? but I can only become PR and not citizen? They can have dual citizenships?

From what I know, in Canada if you give birth in the country then the baby automatically becomes citizen regardless of the parents' origin, I hope I didn't get this wrong too.

Cheers,
    Yee

carang is offline Registered User
    yes, you are correct.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12