Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Traveling with a new born Canadian on the Mainland

prone_to_wander is offline Registered User

Traveling with a new born Canadian on the Mainland

I would like some help from any Canadians out there. Both my husband and I are Canadians.

My in-laws are coming in August (2 months after my baby will be born) and would like to see some of China.

I've read that it is pretty easy to get the emergency passports for the baby from the Canadian Consulate while you are waiting for them to process his citizenship. Has anyone had any trouble with this?

But the big question is: I've also read somewhere that the mainland wasn't issuing visitor visas for Canadians newly born in Hong Kong. Has anyone had this experience? Or were you able to get visas for the bub?

thanks everyone

canadianinhk is offline Registered User
    We had no trouble getting a passport for our son. We just had to show we were going away and needed the passport. We applied for his passport and his citizenship card at the same time. Was all really easy. Received the passport in 15 days and the citizenship card 8 months later.

Sorry can't answer the question about the China Visa

nino is offline Registered User
    When we got our daughter's temporary passport ahead of the citizenship card, we had to have proof of travel - we had to show an itinerary.
    Haven't tried to get a China visa for her, sorry!

lucy0 is offline Registered User
    Hi,
    I don't know if I reading your post correctly. If you give birth in Hong Kong then your baby will automatically become citizen of China therefore he can get his HK ID card, passport and his permit to go to China without applying for a China visa. It usually takes about 11 days to get the HK ID card and about another 2 weeks for the permit.

Cheers,
    Yee

prone_to_wander is offline Registered User
    Well the problem is that the baby doesn't get automatic citizenship as he won't be Chinese. We are here on work visas.

I've been reading up on this and it looks like there is a dispute between Canada and China because they used to write that you were born in Taiwan, Macao or Hong Kong and China wanted them to write that they were from China. Only China. Thus a big issue came up. But I'm reading the notice on the consulate Canadians Born in Hong Kong or Macao and it looks like as long as they don't put HKG or MAC... we'll be ok...I hope.

carang is offline Registered User
    yee, your post is 100% wrong. what you say is ONLY applicable to chinese. if they are not chinese, then they need a visa.

i had no problem with either of my kids. although, i would make a note that it's 15 WORKING days to get the passport.

lucy0 is offline Registered User
    That's very interesting, just learned something new! Sorry for the wrong the information.

I gave birth in HK but then my husband is local so I guess that's a different story.

Cheers,
    Yee

carang is offline Registered User
    yee, no problem.
    i gave birth in hk, too... and my husband is a local.

my kids, although eligible for a home return permit, are also canadian citizens.

we did not want our kids to have one as my husband prefers the canadian citizenship for my kids.

only chinese children born in hk may be eligible for the home return permit.

any "expat" children who are not chinese, are not eligible and must have a visa.

(so, my kids got visas in their canadian passports, because we didn't want the home return permit.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast