Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Canossa

matemate is offline Registered User

Canossa

Does anyone have first hand experience at Canossa? We have made a booking there and are about to pay the deposit. However i wanted to hear some experiences before we do that.

Thanks for your help

OX Jess is offline Registered User
    I had my baby boy born at Canossa last June. My experience was "good". The nurse are generally very kind and attentive, especially those two staying by my bed in the labour room, I was very impressed. They guided you to breath, and told you what you shall expect next. Very very helpful! They are also very supportive for breastfeeding and you can always get help from the nurse. I stayed at a general ward, with 6 beds all occupied. Some are locals some are mainlanders. I am kind of lucky as most of them are of good-manners and quiet except one whose family gathered round one evening and chat chat chat. They seemed to forget they are in a hospital, not in a market!!!!!! I told the nurse to ask them to lower their voice and the nurse did. Great help!

I am told that you are not supposed to bring your newborn to the ward as they fear that the newborn might contract some diseases from visitors. Most of the nurses, however, would turn a blind eye (unless you grab your baby away for hours) as they probably understand how much a new mummy wants to get close to their baby. But there was ONE strict nurse who insisted to grab my baby away from my arms. I protested and said, "How dare you grab my baby away? I am his mother" Hahah... People might think I am nuts at that point!

Anyway, if I am pregnant again I will go to Cannossa again! No doubt.

But, some people did encounter some bad experience.

matemate's wife here:

thanks Jess. one more question, when i looked at the pictures and video's on the website, i felt that the whole place is quite small and rather sterile. did you feel the same or is it just normal in hong kong?

i have read some other people's comments about canossa, but it seems their bad experiences are mostly related to non-maternity surgeries. i wonder what bad experiences you heard for deliveries?

louisouis is offline Registered User
    I delivered my son via c-section in canossa 2 years ago and will be delivering my second baby at cannossa later this year. I had a good experience, most nurses were very supportive and kind. It is small but that is a major plus! As not many people know about Canossa or finds the location rather inconvenient, it is a very nice place to recuperate. I have visited my friends in other hospitals when they deliver their babies and many of the hospitals tend to be very very noisy with lots and lots of people. If you want to deliver there and enjoy the quiet environment, it will be ideal but this quiet environment may not last for long as some local celebrities have 'discovered' this hospital and it may turn out to be a popular hospital soon!

OX Jess is offline Registered User
    I have only visited one maternal hospital Baptist (to visit a friend) few years ago and it was big compared to Canossa. I think I don't need a BIG hospital. Canossa is relatively small and that's why it is a lot quieter which is NICE!!! Exactly what we need, don't we?! Location is not really that inconvenient... don't forget you can effectively jump into a TAXI and get everywhere here. And, they have shuttle bus (very frequent) taking you down to Admiralty.

As I said at the end of my first post, some people has had bad experience, which cannot be taken as a generalisation. Take St. Paul's hospital for example, I have heard super good comments on it, but I've also heard dreadful comment. Sometimes we have to admit we might be 'unluckly' to meet some unfriendly staff or have some 'medical accident' in hospital. I can only tell you from my own experience and my experience with Canossa was NICE, except that 'strict' nurse! I had natural delivery and the nurses in the labour room are amazingly supportive and caring. It was my first pregnancy and without them I would certainly have gone into panic for sure. If you have heard someone else said something different from my experience, well, I am not going to argue/justify, instead I would just say "I am lucky". And to answer your question, I have not yet heard of any bad stories about deliveries. Good luck with your choice!
    Last edited by OX Jess; 03-12-2010 at 11:33 AM.

thanks a lot for feedback!

NewBabyLA is offline Registered User
    Does Canossa allocate a midwife to you when you deliver?