Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

HELP!!! Breastfeeding with teeth!

sassy is offline Registered User

HELP!!! Breastfeeding with teeth!

Hi
    I'm looking for advice about breastfeeding a baby with teeth. My 9 month old has 6 teeth now and I'm finding breastfeeding her extremely painful! It's not that she's biting, it's just that her teeth seem to rub on my nipple and even leave indentations!!! I've tried re-positioning her and nothing seems to work. Has anyone out there had similar problems? I would pump and give her bottles but despite trying different models, pumps and I are not friends. I've already started a few months ago to suppliment some feeds (her bedtime feed in particular) with formula but I really don't want to stop breastfeeding yet! Thank you in advance for any advice!!!!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Contact LLL - they were always very helpful and would take time to answer all my questions whenever I called.

Breastfeeding a bub with teeth shouldn't be painful. I would suspect that maybe the nipple isn't in the baby's mouth far enough but I'm not an expert... a lactation consultant should be able to help you there...

When I weaned my bub at 14 months, she had about 10-12 teeth and they had never hurt me, except for the very few times that she would bite. She only bit at the end of a feed when she wasn't actually hungry any more so I quickly learnt to stop feeding her when she started losing interest! But I never had any pain from her teeth when feeding her other than that...

Thanks nicolejoy!!!

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    My nipples also really started hurting when my son had 6 teeth (the top 4 came in all at once). Sometimes he bit me too, especially when he wasn`t interested in feeding.
    I found that after he got used to feeding with his new teeth, they bothered my nipples less. It must also be hard for them to learn how to feed again with teeth. If your baby is not biting, try to stick it out for longer and see if it gets better.

Thanks Shenzhennifer, my daughters top 4 all came at once too. The first time she bit me I jumped and accidently scared her a little, she hasn't really bit me since. I'll keep perservering for now.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Yeah, I know. It`s an awful shock to be bitten on the nipple by your baby. Shocking for them too, hehe. I`m sure your baby will get used to her newfound powers and hopefully will be able to restrain from hurting mama.