Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Baby goes to sleep by himself?!?

southside852 is offline Registered User
    I believe the norm for most babies is about 15-20 minutes for putting themselves to sleep. The bedtime routine right before should be around 20/30 minutes - whatever that may be.
    For us it's:
    bath (10-15 minutes)
    PJs and Brushing teeth (5 mins)
    Saying our good nights to everyone (3 mins)
    4-5 stories ( 5-8 mins)
    My son doesn't really play in his room, but some do quiet play before reading stories. We've been changing his routine as of late to a later bedtime since he has more energy, but it takes him usually 15 minutes to fall asleep. If it takes more than 30 mins for him to go to sleep and he's just fooling around in his bed, I know that my son is just not ready for sleep yet. I know to push his bedtime a bit later....

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    North Point
    I've always let my daughter play in bed by herself as long as she's happy. She sometimes chatters away in bed for up to an hour before she goes to sleep, although that's not common. Most of the time she's asleep within 20 min or so... I rarely get her up once I've put her to bed, even if she's upset/crying... I know that if I get her up just because she's playing in bed, in the end she'll go to bed at least 1.5 hours after her regular bedtime and it creates more problems the next day, so now that she's got a pretty regular bedtime, I try to stick to it as much as possible... I think it's easier that way, and she doesn't mind, so it works better for us :)

OX Jess is offline Registered User
    Tuen Mun, Hong Kong
    Thanks ladies for all the advice.

Last night I set up the 'sleeping atmosphere' at home around 8:30 (by toning down the light and playing some bedtime music); then I sat him on my lap and read a book with him. Then at about 9:10 I took him to the bedroom and laid him down in bed, in which he rolled over here and there for about 10 minutes, and babbled to himself for another 10 minutes and finally fell into sleep. YEAH!! Hope he will do the same tonight~~~

peainpod is offline Registered User
    Mid Levels
    That's great OXJess, congrats! Like southside852, I'm a firm believer in sleep routines. It preps the child for sleeping so as you go thru the motions, he is already mentally being prepared for bed.

I have a similar routine which I started from almost birth and I try never to vary - bath followed by milk with 10 mins of babytv, followed by teethbrushing and then 1-2 bedtime books.

Whatever your routine, it's important you stick to it so baby becomes accustomed. Good luck!

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    I am working on the sleeping routine. Last night, my little girl (almost 8 months now) fell asleep on her milk feed and we put her down to sleep, she woke up after 15 minutes and started crying. We patted her for 15 minutes, it didn't get better, she cried until she threw up!!!

It's probably our own doing. As it was easier to pacify her late at night when she is next to us, vs in her own room. We need to get her back to sleeping in her cot again. Now that she can pull herself up or roll on her stomach, it's so difficult to make her lie down :)

Any idea why babies wake up crying several time in the middle of the night (not hunger) and falls back asleep within a few minutes with some patting? We didn't have this problem when she was younger.

1stimemum is offline Registered User
    bel air
    I have a question for all you mums out there. Sleep associations. What was your experience with changing sleep habits and behaviors? For eg : nursing to sleep OR cuddling/ holding him to sleep?

How long does it take to change the habit? weeks or months?
    How much crying does it take each time?

I am now embarking on what I foresee will be a very difficult period my son is now just past 3 mths and I intend to stop cuddling/ holding him to sleep. I want to get him to learn to sleep by himself in his cot. Would like to know what I'm in for/ what to expect?

newbiekt is offline Registered User
    I waited until 4 months with my son and then weaned him off cuddling him to sleep and also using a dummy. It took about two weeks in total and sometimes he would cry for up to 20 mins. It wasn't a fun time, but now aged one he settles himself within 5 minutes when he goes to bed and even when he wakes up in the night he goes back to sleep on his own more often than not. I think it was totally worth it!

OX Jess is offline Registered User
    Tuen Mun, Hong Kong
    My previous problem with putting my son to sleep at night is kind of solved now. Now I don't need to carry him or rock him or sing to him when I want him to sleep (I did all these in the last 9 months and my son is now 10 months old.) What I do now, for your reference, are:-

(1) half an hour before his usual bedtime, 9pm, I set the light in the living room dim, play some light music and STOP playing with him completely. Sometimes if he is in the mood I will read a book with him (but most of the time he is too impatient with sitting down with me to read a book!)

(2) at 9pm, I take him to the bedroom and turn off all the light, shut the door then put him into his own cot, in which he plays by himself for about 10~20 minutes, i.e. pulling up, jumping up and down, rolling over, babbling, etc. until I guess he makes himself tired. I sat on my own bed (his cot is next to our bed) and don't make a sound.

(3) Then when he's ready for sleep he will stretch his arms wanting to be carried. Then I take him to my bed and **** him goodnight and he will roll over for another 5~10 minutes and then fall into sleep.

As I said, since his birth I carried him and rocked and sang him to sleep and I never really tried to let him sleep by himself. In other word I didn't make this change purposely. What happened was: one evening he suddenly refused to be carried by me and struggled to go into his cot... after the third night I realised he wanted to play a bit in his own cot then roll a bit in my bed then sleep. Just happened so naturally~~~~

My son normally sleeps through the night but he sometimes, once a week on average may wake up in the middle of night crying with tears, or simply cry in sleep. I would lift him up and cuddle him back into sleep. I don't know the reason. As it doesn't happen often so I never try to find out why...
    Last edited by OX Jess; 04-19-2010 at 02:37 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast