Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Baby goes to sleep by himself?!?

1stimemum is offline Registered User
    OX Jess, it seems to have happened naturally for you which is great but what if it didnt, were you prepared to keep doing it?

My fear is that he cries for hours... i dont have it in me to deal with that.

OX Jess is offline Registered User
    As far as I remember my son had never cried for hours before bedtime. The longest one he cried before bedtime is 30 minutes, because I shut the door and refused to let him play more as it was already 10pm! So if he does cry that long for no reason I would certainly check if there's anything wrong with him (sick, tummy ache, wet nappy, etc). Therefore I have no concrete idea as to what I'd do if my son cries for hours before going to sleep... I guess I would try to find ways to settle him down first (whatever it is rocking / patting / singing...) then I will follow that pattern next time and set up a routine slowly. I think, different babies have different favourite sleeping pattern and you should find out what one suits your little one best. For example, before my son turned to fall asleep by himself, I realised that he can always quiet himself down when I play a certain folk song so I follow that pattern and it works well 9 out of 10. I don't think, a baby, if feeling cosy and secured, would cry for an hour long.

Sometimes, being too tired could be a reason why they can't settle themselves easily and cry for long. (I experienced it ONCE and it was really difficult to quiet him down!) Therefore, if possible, set your baby into sleepy mood before he gets really tired. Good luck and hope your baby is a good sleeper!
    Last edited by OX Jess; 04-19-2010 at 04:03 PM.

Aava.Wong is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by OX Jess View Post
    he sometimes, once a week on average may wake up in the middle of night crying with tears, or simply cry in sleep. I would lift him up and cuddle him back into sleep. I don't know the reason. As it doesn't happen often so I never try to find out why...
    i've noticed that my bubba only cries in his sleep when his regular schedule gets messed up during the day or if i take him out to new places/activities.

bonnie6 is offline Registered User
    my 4 month old hasn't really ever fallen asleep by herself...and it would be good to try and train that now, she falls asleep now on my breast and in my bed, very bad habit i know and one i would like to change, first step i am putting her in her cot a little each day, i need to get her to fall asleep not on my breast, i have reading the baby whisperer and it is very good but as much as i understand the principle, eat, activity, sleep, you, apart from the fact she doesn't sleep long periods in the day she would rather sleep during and after a feed, she is a sicky/windy baby so i also don't want to make her play afterwards as think this will make her sick even more i would have thought, sorry a few issues going on, any help ideas on how to correct some of these problems

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    I have also been trying the E.A.S.Y. approach from the Baby Whisperers. Probably my baby is still young (will be 4 weeks old tomorrow). But the problem I have been having are the following:

- My baby always fall asleep on my breast after sucking for 15 to 25 minutes, before I switch side. I try to wake him up by tickling his feet, arms, faces, and usually would not work. For me to wake him up, I have to change his nappy (which is already part of the "Activity"). If I don't go back to "Eat" again, and just continue on the routine by letting him play, he would cry an hour later not because he would be tired and ready to go to "Sleep", but become he would be hungry and wanting to get feed again.

- My baby is more eagle to go to sleep "on his own" at night, but usually he would cry, and I would have to put him on my breast where he would use it to pacify himself. He doesn't take pacifier, nor like sucking on my finger. After sucking for 10 minutes or so, I can put him to his bed, where he would eventually fall asleep. However, he doesn't always take nap during daytime. There are time when after doing his "Activity", he would get sleepy (yawning a lot), and never go beyond the 2nd stage of sleep. After an hour or 2, he would be crying again to be fed. Another situation is when he does fall asleep or nearly fall asleep on my arm, but would wake up and cry each time I put him on bed.

carang is offline Registered User
    gataloca, your baby is WAY too young to be trying to put him onto a schedule. just take it as it comes and go with the flow. at this age it doesn't matter if your baby falls asleep on his own or not. it will NOT create bad habits.

to a baby as young as yours, cuddling and comfort asre just as necessary as a good feed, a clean nappy and enough sleep.

enjoy your baby. they are only this little once and it doesn't last very long.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    i would have to agree with carang...4 weeks is too early to be put on a schedule...if you follow thwe babies lead you will be surprised as to how closely he/she is actually following the books - at least that is what i found out with my kids. they grow up too fast so enjoy every minute really! my 2 month old has just cut her 2am feeding and is sleeping a longer stretch at night (i'm breastfeeding) and i didn't do anything...it's a biological thing for sure...so listen and follow their lead, that's what i am doing and it's worked / working

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    Yes, I think that also. Probably too young. But I still get worried when he doesn't want to take his nap, cause I don't want him to get overtired. Sometime it is easier to put him to sleep when i carry him with the sling. But he would still wake up and cry when I put him back in bed

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123