Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Inducing labour

New to HK is offline Registered User

Inducing labour

Hi,

We are moving to HK from London just before our baby is born and was wondering if anyone knew if there was a standard policy of inducing babies once they are overdue? In the UK it's 2 weeks after the due date - just wondered if it was the same in HK. Sorry if this is a ridiculous question - I am a first timer!

AmyH is offline Registered User

I was induced after one week but as far as I am aware, in the public system, it can be anything between one and two weeks.

I am not sure about the private hospitals here though so maybe somebody else can advise you on that.

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User

Hi, newtoHK it's not a stupid question at all. Things are different here and it's a lot to wrap your head around as well as wrapping your head around the whole new baby thing.

I can't speak for everyone but for me they seemed fairly keen to induce after I was about a week overdue but said that it was ultimately my choice, they could make an appointment at the hospital but I could choose whether or not to take it. As me'n'the boy were doing well and had no worrying symptoms I decided to let it go as long as I could and had an appointment for induction just over two weeks past my due date.

The Boy finally made his appearance 12 days late no induction necessary so I'm really glad I waited.

Ultimately it depends on your doctor and your medical circumstances but it's certainly possible to wait two weeks if that is what you want and you argue your case well.

- just read your post AmyH, my experience was private.

This site is a great resource to look at other questions like choosing a doctor, private vs. public, choosing a hospital, making a hospital appointment etc..

Last edited by jvn; 03-12-2010 at 06:22 PM. Reason: New information

StareBear is offline Registered User

Agree it depends on your doctor. I have heard that many doctors in HK would push for an induction at 41 weeks but my OB (Dr Doo) was willing to let me go 14 days overdue - this was his standard approach not something I pushed for. The induction was booked at my 40 week appt for 2 weeks later to ensure bed availability but in the end I ended up going into labour naturally.

New to HK is offline Registered User

Thank you all very much - there's so much to do, but have already fond the site really helpful for tips on doctors and hospitals and we are already on to that (about 6 months late for HK though, it seems!)

Actually on topic of hospitals - I am bit confused - I realise you need to book an OB and then the hospital but is it the case that there are different waiting lists for hospitals depending on who your OB is?

starbucks2 is offline Registered User

For a private hospital you need to book really early. I have only had experience with Matilda where there is apparently only one waiting list although I believe priority is given to those OBs which are resident at Matilda. I went to Dr Grace Cheung (part of Lucy Lords practice) who is a resident and was told by the administrator there who does the bookings that they have never not been able to get someone in (although assume that this on the basis that they booked early).

SB2

Last edited by starbucks2; 03-15-2010 at 02:23 AM.

lemonade is offline Registered User

I was induced at 5 days overdue with my first pregnancy and I spent a lot of time discussing it with my OB at the time. Based on what she told me - the decision to induce is not strictly based on number of days overdue, i.e., it's not as easy as saying - oh, we let you go X number of days overdue. Instead, it is a decision based on such things as the health of the placenta (which degrades over the length of your pregnancy), the amount of amniotic fluid you have (this also diminishes as the pregnancy goes over the due date) and the size of the baby (the baby can grow very rapidly after 40 weeks). For some women, as long as the placenta continues to be healthy and you have sufficient amniotic fluid (your waters haven't started to leak or otherwise dissipate) and the baby isn't becoming too big; the OB will allow you to go overdue - my understanding is that no matter what your circumstances, 14 days is typically the max due to the fact that the placenta does at 42+ weeks become less efficient at delivering nutrients and oxygen to the baby.

As far as doctors and hospitals here in HK - I am also with Dr. Doo and delivering at a private hospital and he said that 14 days was the max but that if there was a medical reason to go sooner, or if I wanted to start labour sooner, we could always induce.

Good luck!

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User

My understanding is the same as Starbucks2, there's one waiting list but they will prioritise certain doctors or practices.

I went to Matilda through Central Health as well and was lucky enough to get a confirmed place very early on but I have heard of people being waitlisted right up until about 5 or 6 weeks before their due date and then getting their place confirmed.

The way it worked for me is that I filled in a form at Central Health and then they applied to Matilda for me, Matilda then contacted me directly via email to get my deposit so I put them in touch with my insurance company and the insurance co and Matilda dealt directly with each other from then on - I'm not sure if this is the same for all doctors and insurance companies but I hope this overview helps!

At the end of the day it's a business and the hospitals will take your money if they possibly can :-) so I think most people do get in eventually.