Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

baby slings danger

NDDomer is offline Registered User

baby slings danger

Just read about this online...

WASHINGTON - The government warned Friday that those chic baby slings that hip moms and dads are sporting these days can be dangerous, even deadly for their little ones.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission said it has investigated at least 13 deaths associated with sling-style infant carriers over the last 20 years, including three deaths last year. One other case involving a fatality is still being investigated. Twelve of the deaths involved babies younger than four months of age, the agency said.

The commission is advising parents and caregivers to be cautious when using infant slings for babies younger than four months. It said that many of the babies who died in slings were a low birth weight twin, were born prematurely, or had a cold.

Infant deaths prompt warning on baby slings - Kids and parenting- msnbc.com

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

Mayawrap have made a press realease about this.

Not All Slings Are Created Equally: Baby Sling & Carrier Manufacturers Speak Out On Baby Sling Safety Warning
    Not All Slings Are Created Equally: Baby Sling & Carrier Manufacturers Speak Out On Baby Sling Safety Warning

banane76 is offline Registered User

I also think parents have to take care when using slings...it has it in their warnings, like check on your baby regularly while they're in the sling to make sure their airways are free. Check out the Sleepy wrap, it's a nice alternative to the sling and very comfortable for you and baby.

Sleuth is offline Registered User

Honestly, the US leads the way in getting carried-away with this stuff. People have been using slings for hundreds, if not thousands, of years and we are all still here.
    13 deaths in 20 years. Yes, a tragedy especially if you are one of the 13, but hardly something to launch a media blitz on. Probably just trying to create more money for trial lawyers.

Gataloca is offline Registered User

People often misuse products, and then put the blame into the manufacturers.

I am also surprised at the amount of toys that get banned every year. Most of us have grown up around stuff that mostly would be considered unsafe nowadays.

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User

Good points everyone.

It's good to be aware of potential problems but I don't like the tone the journalist has taken "chic slings" that "hip mums and dads" use - suggesting sling users put their babies in danger to fulfil a desire to be fashionable or look good.

monte is offline Registered User

I agree that this is a bit overblown. Yes, those deaths are tragic, but really, 14 deaths in 20 years isn't that many, especially when you consider that many of the babies were premature, had low birth weight or had some other breathing issue to begin with. I hope that this story has only the effect of making people check the position of their babies and make sure it is safe, but not to stop using their slings or wraps!

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Gataloca View Post
    People often misuse products, and then put the blame into the manufacturers.

I am also surprised at the amount of toys that get banned every year. Most of us have grown up around stuff that mostly would be considered unsafe nowadays.
    Exactly. The list of dangerous products and activities that the human race has survived is endless. Like an attempt to legislate or decree away all possible danger in life. Even if you could, I am not sure it would be an improvement.
    Every death is a tragedy, especially if it is someone close, but sometimes more the fault of the user rather than the manufacturer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast