Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How to make baby sleep longer at night

Obiwan is offline Registered User

How to make baby sleep longer at night

Morning. My little girl (6.5 months now) used to sleep 9 hours in a go at night. Recently you might have read my post that she has been getting more difficult and refusing to feed. I have since changed her feeding schedule to once every 4 hours (for about 6 - 7 ounces per feed), things were good but she started waking up at 4 - 5am, after 7 hours of sleep. I have also started to get her to sleep earlier as well (9 - 9.30pm instead of 11pm).

Do you think she is waking up earlier because she doesn't have enough food in her stomach for the day now that she is having one less feed? Or does it have anything to do with her sleeping earlier now. I reckon with the latter, the length of sleep shouldn't be affected right?

Would appreciate any advice ... thank you!

p.s. btw, i am guessing that her fussy behavior earlier was due to us switching to stage 2 formula. we have since switched back to stage 1.

StareBear is offline Registered User

Have you started solids? This could help if it is hunger related...
    Also I have heard that waking at 4am can commonly be due to cold as this is the coldest part of the night. Is she warm enough? I have started adding a blanket after I give my daughter a dream feed at 10.30pm and that has made a difference to how long she sleeps afterwards.

ihave3cats is offline Registered User

Perhaps she's teething? Hunger might also be it.
    My children changed their Sleeping patterns after a while too.. She's 6.5 months, perhaps she needs more workout? I know it sounds crazy but when my daughter was a baby, I put her swimming in those big tubs for 15 mins every day.. To let her have more exercise.
    I guess u have to try different thigs to find out what works for her..

Aava.Wong is offline Registered User

i reckon that she is going to bed earlier than usual so she will wake up earlier as well. i would feed her just before going to bed then one more time in between (when she starts to fuss) and when she wakes up in the early morning. if she doesn't want to feed then i'd drop that feed for that morning but try again the next morning. am i making any sense? >.<

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

I think my son's sleep pattern also changed around that age....he used to be able to fall asleep by himself in his crib and at around that time, he began to hate being in his crib alone to fall asleep and to this day (almost 1 year old), he has to fall asleep in our bed before we move him over! Anyways, that's kind of besides the point because the length of time he slept hasn't really changed.

My first question would be if you have started solids...because that may help if hunger is the issue. Also, have you tried upping the amount of milk she has before she goes to bed? When she wakes up at 4-5am, what does she do - just stay awake or go back to sleep after awhile? How many times does she nap during the day? Could you shorten her day time naps or give her more exercise to tire her out more for her nighttime sleep?

carang is offline Registered User

BOTH of my kids started waking at 5am when they were 6 months old. they'd stay awake for exactly 2 hours, then go back to sleep for another 3....eventually they grew out of it.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

My daughter's sleep went crazy at 7 months. She was sleeping through before that and then started waking at night again, once or twice. She'd have a quick feed and then go back to bed. I found it was easier to just feed her and put her back than it was to try and train her not to wake. She grew out of it around 14 months old... now she does wake sometimes but at least most nights she sleeps though...

Obiwan is offline Registered User

Thank you ladies!

My little one is like Nicolejoy's girl. She would wake up, but as soon as we give her a feed (usually she takes 3 ounces), she promptly falls back to sleep for another couple of hours.

We have not formally started her on solid yet, cos i'm trying to transition her from Stage 1 formula to Stage 2. She took badly to this earlier, as I switched completely to Stage 2 without knowing that I have to introduce it slowly! Oops.

I'm going to go back to 3-hourly feed today and see if it makes a difference. Keep you posted!

Now I know why babies don't come with instruction booklet, cos they love to change on their mommies!! Makes our life more interesting :)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast