Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Travelling Advice with a 14 month old

carang is offline Registered User
    what would i order? whatever i wanted, then give some to baby: pasta, pizza, bread, veggies, chicken etc.

louisouis is offline Registered User
    my son was about 20 months, so he can basically eat what we eat (Pasta, noodles, chips etc) but he was not very interested even though he is usually very interested when he is at home. I brought some japanese food packets of toddler's food which you can dip in hot water to warm up which was convenient. and bring along plastic bags just in case he throw up due to motion sickness and the cold climate.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    Louisouis - thanks! where do you get japanese food packets of toddler's food?

I'm not totally against letting my son eat some restaurant food - but I just wasn't sure that three meals a day for 14 days would be good for him given the amount of salt and sugar and whatever else that could be added to the food. I guess I'm just being overly cautious as a first time mother.

carang is offline Registered User
    it's only 2 weeks, not for the rest of his life. it won't adversely affect him in the long run.

Sazzy is offline Registered User
    What does your son eat now? Any favourites? Are you meeting relatives? Any self-catering accommodation?

beckveldman is offline Registered User
    OP, totally understand your caution if this is your first major trip with your first child! Neither of my children were eating identical food to us at this age, either.

I would second the recommendation to take along supplies of the primary milk source your child is used to (in our case it was still breastmilk at this age, so very easy). Then, personally, I always found it useful to take along supplies of their usual breakfast (in our case, cereal) to start the day well. Additionally, plenty of any pre-packaged snack foods which they might like (e.g. small packets of dried fruit).

Armed with those as a base, if they then turned their noses up at absolutely everything else, I knew at least they weren't starving and all would be well once we got home!

I once had a trip with my eldest when he was about 15 months old, where he went on a complete food strike and refused everything but breastmilk for a few days. His silent protest in a busy travel schedule that year. Finally after a few days we managed to coax him with some lush blueberries - he went on to eat a whole punnet in one sitting! It's funny to look back on it now :-)

In the end it's probably all to do with the personality of your child: I guess some children eat everything! Both of mine have been firmly more "eat to live, and only just barely" than the other way around.

Aava.Wong is offline Registered User
    you can also take packets of those organic rice cereals - just mix hot water/milk and voila! you can mash bananas or other types of mushy fruits and veggies to give him a variety. :)

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    My son had been eating congee with veggies and mince meat for awhile now two times a day. About a month ago, he kind of revolted and wouldn't take it anymore - so I have started giving him other stuff, namely soup pasta with veggies and mince meat and sometimes mashed pumpkin with spinach and mince meat or fish. Tried to give him tomatoes once, but he didn't like it...but want to try it again in a pasta sauce. My problem with him is that he is kind of a finicky eater. For breakfast he has oatmeal or fruit, though for some strange reason, he won't take the oatmeal if I feed it to him, he will only take it if the nanny feeds it to him (nanny is not coming with us on the trip). He loves bread, hates yogurt, but likes yogurt drinks. I've been trying to get him to eat cheese but some days he'll have a few bites, some days not at all. Sigh.....will keep trying to expand his repertoire so that when I go away in 2 months I have more choices for him to eat. If all else fails, there is always milk, bananas and bread. :) Thanks all for your suggestions!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast