Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cockroach control

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

Cockroach control

We've been getting some bugs in our place, I've previously just set those roach baits and it's worked ok, but now we seem to be getting little baby ones!! I've been looking into ways to get rid of them without fully spraying the house because I've got a 16 month old and I'm pregnant with my 2nd so I don't want any harmful chemicals - but I want to get rid of them all!!

I'm currently trying to keep the house much cleaner and I'm bleaching the kitchen counter instead of just wiping with water. I think it helps a bit.

Does anyone have any other tips? Or does anyone have any info on some kind of fumigation which is not as toxic to us but is still effective? (I remember reading something a while ago but can't find it now!!)

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    I have no tip about treatment, but we got rid of them by checking all the "entry" points. We found lots of holes in the kitchen, between the furnitures and the walls, and put some tape everywhere, also under the kitchen furnitures (there was a 2 cm space there). All the food is in boxes or plastic bags. We didn't see a cockroach for months after that !

Our kitchen really needs to be remodelled - it's about 12 years old and still original fittings. The counter top is made out of plywood covered in laminate and it's a bit swollen from water damage. It seems impossible to fill every gap without tearing everything out and building it from scratch! We are buying this place and if we were going to be staying here, we would probably do that - but we want to move so we don't want to pour money into it...

All our food is properly stored - we had a weevil problem 2 years ago and that's how we ended up getting rid of them...

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    We were infested before. Then we got the `bomb`, available for about $80 at Japan Home Centre (don`t know what it`s actually called though you can get your point across enough there). You just let it off, go out for the day or half day at least, and then when you get home, you take your daughter out for a snack and let hubbie clean it all up and air it out. BECAUSE THERE WILL BE HUNDREDS OF THE CRITTERS, all over your home, in places where you don`t want to know.
    But after that, it`s soooooooooooo much better. Unbelievable difference.

Do they leave a residue over everything? Or not really?

And for us, we only really have it in the kitchen. Do we just set it off in the kitchen or does one "bomb" do the entire house??

lisa88 is offline Registered User
    Agree with Shenzhennifer, the 'bomb' is the way to go. If you are finding tiny baby cockroaches, the only way to get rid of them is to poison them. We unfortunately had the cockroaches living in the woodwork of our cabinets. Not because it was an old building, ours is less than 4 years old but the cockroaches seemed to like the particular wood in the cabinets. We heard from our neighbours that they had bad problems too with infestations. We picked a time when we were going away for a spell (Christmas break) and set off the 'bombs' in the whole flat (one bomb per room) after we had taken out our luggage and baby safely out of the flat. When we returned we were overjoyed to find dozens of tiny cockroaches all dead, along with chemical residue from the bombs. We cleaned up the whole flat and wiped down everything. Three months later over the CNY holidays we repeated the whole process. Now we seem to be cockroach free but are not taking things for granted. The bombs are pretty poisonous but they work. You can poison just the kitchen but I suspect the cockroaches will seek refuge in other parts of your flat. Another tip is to make sure your flat is clutter free, inside and outside cupboards coz cockroaches love cardboard cartons and damp places. No amount of poisoning will help if you have hospitable places for them to nest!

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolejoy View Post
    Do they leave a residue over everything? Or not really?

And for us, we only really have it in the kitchen. Do we just set it off in the kitchen or does one "bomb" do the entire house??
    Residue....hmmm, good question:) Not visible, but I would for sure clean everything afterwards quite well. There is no smell, though I didn`t go really into the apt until after it was aired out for an hour.
    I think we just set it in the kitchen, but at the door near the hall. Don`t assume that they are just in the kitchen - we did and were utterly shocked to find them dead EVERYWHERE, in EVERY NOOK AND CRANNY in the apartment. It was totally disgusting and liberating at the same time.
    But seriously, do not even attempt to clean it up yourself. Either your husband or hire a cleaner. This is no work for a lovely mommy like yourself. It`s nasty stuff.

StareBear is offline Registered User
    I have used an effective fumigation service that involved no toxic smell or chemicals. It is not cheap (cost me around $3500) but offers a course of treatments for 1 year. So far I have had three treatments, the first when I was 38 weeks pregnant, and the second was when the baby was 3 weeks old. All we had to do was leave the house while they were there (to get out of their way, not because of any dangerous chemicals etc). There was no smell once we returned home after twenty minutes although I did leave the windows open for a few hours just to be sure. PM me if you want the details.
    Anyway it is a much more expensive route than the bomb but did save a lot of cleaning and a lot of worry about fumes, particularly once the baby was born.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast