Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Chinese Canadian giving birth in Hongkong,can baby get HKSAR passport or HK PIC ?

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    That's funny. My hubby was born in HK and has HK permanent ID (but just the same as an expat ID since he renounced his Chinese nationality), and our baby has a Chinese name and Chinese surname. We were asking them to NOT give her Chinese nationality but they said they had to since she had Chinese blood.

I mentioned in another thread but I have a friend who had a similar experience with her daughter - she is Singaporean Chinese, neither she nor the father have Chinese nationality but the daughter does because of her Chinese blood.

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    I get it now. Nothing to do with the blood, cos you can't technically test Chinese blood :)

I am guessing your husband's details are in the system somehow, my husband is an American born in the USA.

With Singaporean, the baby born in HK can get the HK passport cos the 'loophole' here is that the Singapore ID says "Race: Chinese", and based on that the child can establish Chinese lineage.

happyhk is offline Registered User
    Hi, OBIWAN, CARANG, Nicolejoy,

Thanks a lots for all the information which make wife and me very happy . Actually, I have two chidren born in Canada . The third one is coming , I really want my family to have a strong tie with China,so my wife and I have been discussing this for a long time .Now we definitely have an good answer .

Thank you all.

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    That is really confusing.. I thought you get the nationality of the place where your are born. Like you instantaneously become american if you are born in the US, or canadian if you are born in Canada..... If your are born in HK, China, isn't that enough to make you a chinese?????

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    Nope!! You don't automatically become citizen of the country you are born. Each country has its own immigration law I'm afraid.

happyhk is offline Registered User
    Obiwan , you are right .Only a few country grant citizenship by birthplace. Most european country don't .

Minka is offline Registered User
    Hi, my baby was born in HK. Parents are both Canadian and HK citizen. Same as your baby, my baby, born in HK got the HKSAR passport AND the RE-entry permit (in a book) AND HK ID card. We did all these in the Sheng Wan/Central Immigration office. His Canandian Proof of Citizenship is also in process and will take 12-14 months. Then we can apply for the Canadian passport (only 10 business day). If you want to bring your baby to China, the RE-entry permit (in a book) AND the HK ID card is good enough because it will be another 14-15 months before you can get the Canadian passport.

carang is offline Registered User
    actually a canadian passport takes 15 working days AND you can apply for it BEFORE you receive your child's citizenship card.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast