Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Chinese Canadian giving birth in Hongkong,can baby get HKSAR passport or HK PIC ?

happyhk is offline Registered User

Chinese Canadian giving birth in Hongkong,can baby get HKSAR passport or HK PIC ?

Chinese Canadian giving birth in Hongkong,can baby get HKSAR ?

My wife and I were naturlized to Canadian citizen 2 years ago (We immigrated to Canada 6 years ago from Mainland China ,We still have our Chinese passports valide.) We are planning to give birth to our baby this Nov in Hongkong, since we are reuniting our family in Shenzhen , Mainland China.

I want my wife to receive better medical care and we are looking for hospitals in Hongkong. But we are still not sure the answer to the follwoing questions,

1, Can we use our Chinese passports to declare my baby chinese nationality and get a HKSAR passport and HK PIC?

2,If not ,with the Canadian passport of ours ,what documents we can get from HK immigration for us to travel to mainland China ?

3,How can we bring the baby back to Shenzhen ? what kind of travelling documents is needed ?

Is there anybody who has the same experience ?

Thanks in advance

carang is offline Registered User
    i believe that if your wife is a chinese national, then your baby would have right of abode in hk (no hkid issued untiil they are 11 years of age).

once baby is born, you register the birth (VERY EASY, takes 1 morning to do).
    when you have the birth certificate, you take that PLUS all of you and your wife's information to the canadian consulate. you must apply for a canadian citizenship card & a passport. the citizenship card takes about 1 year to be issued. BUT you can get a temporary passport (valid for 1 year) for the baby for travelling. it takes roughly 15 WORKING days to get a passport.

if your child is a right of abode holder in hk AND a chinese national (which i believe he/she would be), THEN you can apply for a HKSAR passport as well.

if your child has right of abode in HK and is a chinese nationial, she/he should also be eligible for a HOME RETURN PERMIT. this is what you can use to take the baby back and forth over the border. (no idea of the process or how long it takes, i'd look it up on the gov't website, if i were you).

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    Hi happyhk, if your baby is born in HK, and either of the parent can prove that you are Chinese (looks like you can since you still hold the Chinese passports), then your child can get the birth cert, the passport and the hkid.

To go to China, you need to apply for a 回乡证 for the child.

happyhk is offline Registered User
    Thanks a lots for both of your response . I am still not sure if the immigration of HK will regard us as Chinese as we enter HK by Canadian passport.
    Hi, Obiwan ,do you suggest that we enter HK with Canadian passport and file all the applications with Chinese passport ? What happened if the immigration find us in facto dual nationality ?

carang is offline Registered User
    even if you enter hk on a canadian passport, you are still a chinese national (unless you renounced it?)...doesn't matter if you enter on a passport from the moon, when filing the birth certificate, you can produce both...i would choose the chinese one...your child will still be a canadian (i believe).

(ps. i have two passports, uk and canadian AND i'm a hk PR... my hubby is local. my kids are canadian (have canadian passports), hk pr (have 'established' for right of abode on their birth certificates) but not uk... they were not born there)

immigration doesn't care if you have two passports, lots of people have 2

That's correct. It doesn't matter which passport you use to enter the country. All they needed was proof that your child has Chinese lineage (via the parent's passport or id). In our case, we weren't able to prove, she got her HKID and passport using the grandfather's 回乡证 (the grandfather is in fact an American but has the 回乡证 from many years ago). My baby now carries the HK passport and the American passport.

Hope this helps.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Even if you renounce your Chinese nationality, your child is still eligible. At least ours was. I think that just having Chinese blood is enough. My daughter is half Chinese and hubby and I are both only Aussie citizens, but she has Chinese nationality regardless. We tried to argue with the guys at the birth cert place because we didn't want her to have Chinese nationality since neither of us have it but they said she had to have it because she had Chinese blood. We can always renounce it later, or let her decide what she wants to do with it...

Interesting. Our experience was the opposite Nicole. We had to find ways to prove that we are Chinese (which we failed) eventhough it's so obvious that we definitely look it.

My husband and I did not have the appropriate IDs to show that we are Chinese.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast