Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Is your house a mess.....

Bunkey Mama is offline Registered User
    Our 14 month old young lady enjoys making the house a mess too and the moment I clean up, she takes it as a challenge to mess it up more better. True that on weekends when dad is here, the house is more messier!!!!!
    I have decided to only clean up only twice a day, before lunch and before bed, sort of in a game style, since she is starting to understanding simple instructions such as "please put this here." and she wants to hear the clapping and "hurraaaaay!!!" from me, she will do it until she gets bored. After that, I have my helper feed her while she watches me continue putting back things. Fingers crossed that this becomes a habit but if not, I think I will apply the garbage bag method mentioned when she gets older!!!

crystal88 is offline Registered User
    thanks i know our house is "normal", yes, we tidy up with him before bedtime.

fingerscrossed is offline Registered User
    Tin Hau
    With a helper, it's sometimes hard to get the children to get into the habit of tidying up after themselves. The helper feels obliged to do it or she just wants to get the job done. I've told my one to let my son do it all himself but I still see her doing most of it. I bet my son doesn't lift a finger when I'm not around. My strategy now is to say that I'll throw out the toys he doesn't put away and that seems to work, although rather reluctantly.

carang is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    i also have a song that i use at playgroup. "it's time to clean up"

my kids sing it as they clean up (or make me sing it).

Lisainhk is offline Registered User
    Yau Ma Tei
    Carang I definitely think the 'if you don't clean up, all the toys will be in the rubbish bin' idea works! I clearly remember when I was 9 years old being led out to the big garbage bin outside and my dad throwing my barbies in the bin!! I never disobeyed him again! The power of following up your words with actions is amazing hehe. I didn't think he would actually do it so I got lazy. Learnt my lesson! I'll definitely be using that one on the kids.

capital is offline Banned
    my kids are 4 and 6. we keep most of the toys in the family room, some will migrate out during the day, but the family room is the main place. Bedroom has only books an stuffed things. I try to make them clean it every day once, if not in 2 or 3 days everything is out.If they refuse to clean, or are taking forever to do it I threaten with a garbage bag, take everything left away and leave it in the basement for a long time. They know they won't see it agianfor quit awhile.

AT School both manage to do one thing, put it away before getting out the next, but it doen't happen at home. I'm not sure how to make it happen, unless I stay on them all day long.

peainpod is offline Registered User
    Mid Levels
    I think boys are generally messier than girls. I find that when my son (who's 2 yrs old) has his friends over, it's usually the girls who are more responsive to tidying up. At this age, threats to "throw away his toys" will probably not work. (He enjoys helping me throw rubbish away in our big trash can in the kitchen, so no doubt he will consider it a game if i start throwing his toys in there!)

To answer the poster's question, we've managed to keep the living room tidy by having our son keep all his toys in his playroom. The playroom's not very large (about 150 sq feet) so I generally have to tidy up around him when he starts bringing his bigger toys (carparks, train tracks etc) out. Recently I've noticed he's become tidier - maybe b/c i'm making such an example of tidying up while he's playing!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123