Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Would you take your baby to the doctor if he has a fever?

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    We have a great service in the city I come from--it's called Ask A Nurse. So, if you have any health issue you can call up a 1-800, toll-free number and speak with a licensed nurse who goes through a protocol of questions with you to somewhat diagnose the problem. Of course, if the problem is major, they tell you to go immediately to the hospital.

Anyway, when my son was about 1-year-old he got a fever for the first time. He was also throwing up. The nurses that we spoke with told us that the protocol (in the US) is that if the child under 2-years-old is throwing up and has diarea constantly for 24 hours you should take them to the hospital.

As far as fever goes, I was instructed that if the fever ever reaches 103-104 degrees take the baby to the hospital. Actually, when babies have fevers they tend to run a lot higher than a human fever. A normal baby temperature can even be higher than an adults--so whereas 98 degrees is normal for an adult, 99-100 degrees can even be considered normal for a small child. Because small childrens' hearts are beating a lot faster than adults hearts they tend to be warmer. That's why 103 degrees, while super serious in an adult (your brain is cooking almost by that point), in a small child it's about the time you first take him/her to the hospital. That's what the nurses explained to me.

My son's fever did get up to 103 but we also were trying to keep from giving him tylenol at that point. We took him to the hospital and checked him for an ear infection and sure enough, that's what was wrong. Put him on antibiotics and gave him medicine to break his fever and he was fine from then on.

reei is offline Registered User
    Hung Hom
    if you bring him to see the doctor, the doctor will just prescribed paracetamol. the first few times baby has fever, i brought her to see doctors. and after that few times, you will be experience and know what to do . trust your maternal instinct. but then again, if you are not sure whether to bring or not, then bring him to see doctor.
    when you are sure you dont have to bring him see doctor, you'll just know it.

southside852 is offline Registered User
    we usually go into the doctor at 102 and if paracetamol does not bring it down. once our son had 104 at night and we took him to right to the A & E at Adventist. Anything below 102, we just give paracetamol or nurofen.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    Thanks to everyone for your opinion. It seems that the overwhelming opinion was to not take him to the doctor and wait and see.....well, what happened was in the early afternoon yesterday a few hours after I posted, his fever spiked to 102.5. I called our pediatrician then and asked if I could take him in only because I didn't want to get stuck in a situation where his fever kept going up and I would have to take him to a hospital in the middle of the night. Also, as a nervous first time mom, I thought better safe than sorry. Plus though I knew she would prescribe nothing more than paracetamol - I was worried that he could have some other kind of infection (ear infection or something else) that was causing him to have this fever so I wanted to make sure it wasn't anymore more serious. Plus as the day wore on yesterday, he became more tired and lethargic - very different from his usual bubbly bouncy self.

Anyways, our paediatrician checked him out and basically said that he probably just had a viral infection of some sort but that if his high fever continued, there is a possibility that he could have roseola, but that she wouldn't be able to confirm roseola until he actually had rashes appear (which happens after the fever is finished). So as some of you suggested, after confirming that he had nothing serious (i.e. no serious infections that could be diagnosed right away), she just prescribed paracetomal for low grade fever and nurofen for higher grade fever and sent us home.

I know that most of you would have not brought your child and probably think I wasted money by going...but it brought me some peace of mind as I was getting really worried that the fever was rising and it let me know that there was nothing seriously wrong. And also on the plus side, before I went to the doctor, I was giving our son orange flavoured paracetamol which he hated so much - everything time I gave it to him, he acted like I was torturing him. When I told the ped, she switched me to a strawberry flavoured one which though he still doesn't love, at least he doesn't spit out.

The paediatrician's nurses also called me this morning to check my son, which I thought was extremely nice of them. His fever continued as a low grade fever through the night and I've been giving him paracetamol. By this morning, he was feeling much I'm hoping that it's not roseola and that he will be all better by tonight!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    North Point
    I know I said that I wouldn't take my daughter - but I don't think that you wasted your time. You got peace of mind, strawberry flavoured paracetamol and a follow up phone call that assures you that your son is in good hands. I'm sure that was worth your money/time in this situation :)

One thing about roseola, it's completely harmless and I don't think it's even itchy for them. My daughter had it following a fever and my husband (who is more cautious than me) insisted on taking her to the doctor. We went and they didn't even prescribe anything for it. It just runs its course and the rash goes away in a day or two. At least you're prepared for it, but I don't think it's anything to worry about at all... very common in kids under 2 after they've had a fever...

carang is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    if it gave you peace of mind, it's neither money nor time wasted

sabah is offline Registered User
    well, I think there is no harm to give him paracetamol specially at night then in the morning you can check the temp because if it is only a fever then doctor will also prescribe the paracetamol. if anyother symptoms then must to go to doctor first.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12