Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

harder to travel with young kids?

Sleuth is offline Registered User

harder to travel with young kids?

I think it is becoming more difficult to travel with small children. When we started traveling with baby 3 years ago, it was easy. Discounts were large and nobody questioned the sit-n-stroll and it fit everywhere.
    Then the newer airplanes started coming out?smaller seats, skinnier aisles made the sit-n-stroll more difficult, but still no real rejections. The smaller seats were okay, because you just raised the arm rest. Plus we moved the older child to the CARES harness.
    Now, however, we have been on flights that won?t let us use the sit-n-stroll. Sometimes the seats don?t have arm rests that move so it will not fit. One made us put it in the overhead because we could not use it during take-off/landing, but it was okay otherwise. On the return leg we did not have to put it in the overhead, having it empty but in the seat was good enough.
    Most recently we have been told that the airplane only has a few seats designated for car seat use. If they run out before you book, too bad.
    And that the CARES can only be used in the back row because it can be seen by the person sitting behind you. Never has anyone complained to us about the CARES strap, but I guess somebody must have.
    And, for those of you in business class, those new air bag seatbelts prevent car seat use beacuse the belts are too wide.
    You get the idea that the airlines would rather you just left the kids at home, along with your checked luggage. You also get the idea that airplanes are designed by engineers without kids.
    The worst part is that they keep quoting ?safety?. That your kid is ?safer? in one of those kiddie seatbelts strapped to a parent than in their own seat, strapped in a car seat with a multi-point harness. Who makes this stuff up?

plumtree is offline Registered User

Hear Hear! very well said and I hope someone working in the airline industry reads this! We have been so put off by all the changes described that we don't really bother travelling much any more. Why bother giving your money to airlines with this attitude?

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User

I think airlines have always lacked safe seating possibilities for children. It hasn't necessarily become worse. There were always aircraft types that didn't accommodate certain car seats, etc. Mine have traveled in the regular seats since they were 2 years old, in the regular seat belts (the lap belts are only for lap children so under the age of 2), before they have been in their car seats, mainly on US carriers (who are quite good with them). So I think it actually becomes easier when they get older, however, I do agree that the industry in general has done very little (to nothing) to come up with safe alternatives with those still traveling with young children, especially under the age of 2.

Child Safety on Airplanes

carey is offline Registered User

I was just telling my husband yesterday that why don't airlines provide car seats for babies. Now reading this post, it seems that service they provide for infants are only getting worse.

We are just starting to travel with our 10 month old. In fact, leaving tomorrow for a four hour flight and then in June a 11 hour one. I am preparing for the worse--holding him all the way, might be crying and more.

I am keeping my fingers crossed.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User

Agreed. We used to use the Sit n Stroll as well and loved it. Now with the new economy seats on Cathay you can't use it as the seat belt straps have an airbag in them. SUCH a pain if you have a wriggling toddler like us. It is hell for a long flight.

We still travel and both kids will soon be 2 YO, so they can sit in the seat like any person twice their size.
    We flew on Qantas the other week and they all questioned the sit-n-stroll, but all let it go. Also, we spent a long time on the phone trying to pre-arrange all of this (which is what their website said to do) but everything had to be renegotiated at each and every ticket counter.
    In defense of Qantas, the sit-n-stroll is not like other car seats so you probably need to examine it. At least they had the common sense and ability to allow it. Other airlines just hide behind mysterious "safety regulations".

jenflower is offline Registered User

I agree with you completely. The last time I was travelling with my baby, it was very troublesome. Not to mention that I was travelling alone at that time. The airlines barely attempt to do anything to accomodate for those that travel with their children. I really hope they will make some changes soon.

The airlines want to cater to single adults, preferably flying business or first, without luggage. Anything other than that is a hassle for them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast