Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Which Intl' Kindergarten in Kowloon Tong?

Tini is offline Registered User

Which Intl' Kindergarten in Kowloon Tong?

I have been in Hong Kong for 5 months now and still don't quite understand Hong Kong schooling system and which Kindergartens are the good ones.

A friend of ours recommended Yew Chung International to us where I applied to but my son is on a waiting list and we get the result shortly before term starts, which will be in July I presume. Are there any other good ones in Kowloon Tong? I once went to St. Catherines, which was ones a good one my mother-in-law told me, but we didn't like that one at all! Cannan looks like a good one but as I read hear in the forum, they speak mainly Chinese. I do want an English-speaking Kindergarten for my son. Can you give me some recommendations?

Ideally I would like to send my son to the Swiss German International Kindergarten, but I live in Tai Wai and going out that far every day sounds like more stress than fun.

Thanks for any advice!

carang is offline Registered User
    school terms usually start at the end of august or beginning of september.

as for "good" that depends on what you are looking for in a school...

my son goes to a local kindergarten and LOVES it. to me, that is one of the MOST important things. also, the school he attends has an outdoor space for playing...i didn't really care about the "type" of curriculum as it is only kindergarten anyway....

for english speaking kindergartens, you better get a move on... they fill up VERY, VERY fast.

Tini is offline Registered User
    Thanks Carang! I think the choice of Kindergartens are just too big; I feel a little overwhelmed by it to be honest.

Babington is offline Registered User
    I used to teach at Yew Chung, and I highly recommend them. Good teachers, sound pedagogy, good environment, it's what you would expect from an international school!

arleneli is offline Registered User
    There is one called Kingston, which is similar to Yew Chung.

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    You really need to visit these places to get a feel for them. What is right for one child isn't necessarily right for yours. Try to put together a list with some basic categories (like expenses, distance, bus service, English, Chinese, etc...) so that you can eliminate some if the list becomes too overwhelming. Then visit them all and make a final list.
    Like Carang said, if you wait too long you will end up in the school with an open slot, regardless of whether it is right for you.