Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

need recommendation for general infants?

1stimemum is offline Registered User

need recommendation for general infants?

hi all, I have Baby Love, Baby Whisperer but I need a general parenting book that gives me guidelines/ charts/ tables regarding Feeding/ Sleeping/ Routines/ Activities etc...

I like Baby Love but unfortunately I realize I need/ prefer more guidance. Everything is left very loose in her book and right now, my motherly instincts are failing me.

Hubby and i are on our own, no in-laws or family here and we need a book that can tell us what to expect each week/ month etc... But i dont like what to expect books....

is this a tall ask?

carang is offline Registered User
    how old is your baby?

mcdill is offline Registered User
    I haven't used it but I hear that a lot of new mums have used Gina Ford's contented little baby book to help with setting routines - doesn't work for everyone though.

We've been in a similar position and have been using a combination of trial and error, reading forums and doctor's advice, but mostly trial and error.

lisa88 is offline Registered User
    A friend gave me Miriam Stoppard's bible, which is good for newborns up to pre-school. It covers all useful things like feeding, sleeping, hygiene, illness, caregivers, mental development and some parenting issues. The book is not 'fashionable' any more but I think it is a good primer for first time parents.

I also have the "What to Expect" series, ie for Baby's First Year and now "The Toddler Years".

Like you, we are first time parents raising our baby away from family overseas. I read Gina Ford's book too and did not follow the strict schedule that she proposed. The introduction to solids (up to 12 months) I found helpful though.

1stimemum is offline Registered User
    carang, my boy is 2 months old now and I just feel lost some things and hoping to get a good reference book, something i can check up quick facts for eg : what weight should he be at x mths, how many naps, how often a day.... etc...

all of those answers can be found on the internet.

what weight? that depends on the birth weight.
    how many naps? google "amount of sleep for x months baby" and see what comes up.

really, you DO have the instincts... to heck with what everyone else says. do what YOU think is right.

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)
    1sttimemum, I also felt lost and went out and bought just about every book ever written on babies. In the end it was information overload and I soon realised that my son was an individual and no book is ever going to tell me everything. So in the end I gave away the books, stopped worrying about nap times, weight, how much to feed, when to feed etc etc and just went with what my son did. What I did find usefull was this forum where I read peoples opinions or suggestions about what they did and gave them a try. If it didn't work I didn't worry I just tried something else.

Out of all the books I had bought the only ones I kept were Baby Whisperer and Baby Love. And over time I found myself referring to them less and less. We were in a similar situation to you in HK with no family and no helper and I certainly didn't have any motherly instincts either!

It will get easier, just go along for the ride and enjoy your son.

totally agree!

the thing to remember is that you can read all of the books ever written BUT your child has not! your child is an individual that won't necessarily fit into any of the categories for any of the authors.

good luck! i think that many, if not most, of us on here are in exactly the same boat as you are. we were all first-time parents at one point in our lives...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast