Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Baby wakes up everyday at 5am!!!!!

StareBear is offline Registered User

If your baby is 8 months old, she really should be able to get through the night without a feed, even one at 10pm. Completely agree with SUV, sleep begets sleep at this age. My four month old sleeps 4 to 4.5 hours during the day and for the last couple of weeks does 7 to 7 most nights with a dream feed at 10.30pm.
    I would definitely recommend looking at some kind of sleep training book. Gina Ford is one. I personally have used Save Our Sleep by Tizzie Hall which worked for me and there are plenty of others that have been discussed on this site.
    Also I think a lot of mums with early risers would suggest you treat 5am like you would if it was 3am. If you get them up and act like it is morning they won't learn to sleep longer.

miriam228 is offline Registered User

Southside852,

Her last feed is at about 10pm, in hopes she can go to sleep on a full stomach and not wake up in the middle of the night. Is that considered a night feed? (Don't know what I should/shouldn't do...)

Then she'll start waking up at about 5am, helper pats/rocks her, then she'll go back to sleep again and at about 6~7am, she'll wake up again and I'll BF her before going to work. Then she'll often stay awake, helper changes her nappy, cleanses her face and gives her her bfast cereals at about 8-8:30am, then she'll go back to sleep again.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

Miriam, one thing to consider, if your baby DOES go to bed an hour earlier, then in the morning, she may wake up earlier - however I'm sure that it would be easier to get her back to sleep at 4am than at 5am!! I know with my daughter, I'd rather her wake at 4am than at 6am - because at 4am, she's definitely going to go back to sleep but at 6am, that's it for the night.

I never really followed a schedule, I was more "baby led" (although with some gentle prodding, I wasn't COMPLETELY baby led) - if she's tired, put her down for a nap. If she's tired and it's close to her bed time, put her down for the night. A lot of things were trial and error, but I think it's easier to follow their natural body clock than to try and force them into a pattern that suits you...

Nicolejoy, just read a bit of your blog....

Deeply saddened and sorry about your situation!!!!

You have my best wishes and support!!!!!!

:)

Starebear, my baby has slept for about 8 hours straight, ONCE only!!! 7 to 7, so envious......

Will try putting her to sleep earlier tonight, with a dream feed at 10/10:30pm.

OX Jess is offline Registered User

The reason I give one last feed to my son at 11ish every night (except when he has dinner so late at 8:00am - but normally he has his dinner by 6:00) is because I want him to have two bottles of milk every day. I believe, despite how good he is fed on solid food (he is now fed 2-3 proper meals a day, cereal+yogurt for breakfast, one proper lunch and one proper dinner), a baby at his age still needs nutrition from milk. My son is a bit 'strange', he refuses milk except one at his waking hour and one when he is half asleep at night. I try to feed him one bottle in the afternoon but in vain. I think, every baby is different. I don't follow all the rules. I'd rather see what my baby needs and what I'm comfortable with.

Workingmom1975 is offline Registered User

Miriam,

I am a first-time mom so only know what has worked for my baby so far. I am also a "working mom" so have tried hard to fit my baby's schedule into the whole family's since the beginning (otherwise it would have been more like "DH-led" instead of "baby led" after I came back to work). The key things I pay attention to are (mainly based on Gina Ford's method):
    - A pitch-dark room with blackout curtains. My baby certainly started to wake up later after I changed it.
    - Similar to Southside 852, my baby has a 30-min nap in the morning and 2-hour nap in the afternoon. He then gets close to 12 hours of sleep from 8p.m. to 8a.m.
    - No nap after 4p.m. so that he's ready for bed at 8p.m.
    - If my baby wakes up at 5a.m., my helper will leave him alone and give him plenty of time to resettle himself (sleep training). She'll only pats him if he starts to cry really loud and wakes up people in other rooms.

Hope it helps!

Tini is offline Registered User

I remember my son going through these phases as well. He is over 2 years now and sleeps 12 hrs at night; goes to bed at 7pmish and wakes up at 7amish. What is important is that your little ones nap time is not too long and not too late in the day. No napping after 4pm anymore and no more than 2hrs. When my son woke up early in the mornings, I would make my getting up dependant on his type of crying, but usually a few minutes later, like 5mins, he would resettle and go back to sleep himself. But it sounds like your little one got in a habit of waking up at 5am already and it takes a while for him to adapt to a new pattern again. Also he got used to you rocking him back to sleep, so he can't resettle himself anymore. If it was me, I would let him cry. Slowly extend the time, start with like a few minutes until you go in and then increase to 5 mins, then increase to 7mins, etc.

Good luck!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast