Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Baby wakes up everyday at 5am!!!!!

miriam228 is offline Registered User

Baby wakes up everyday at 5am!!!!!

Hi,

Have been reading some threads about above topic, and have some questions about this.

My 8 month old has been waking up everyday for the past month at around 5am (no later), crying. After several pats/rocks, she gets back to sleep and wakes up crying soon after. Then I would would BF her at around 6am. (Thought she may be teething? No, no new tooth, apart from the 2 lower ones.) Her last feed at night is at 10pm. Then sleeps through until 5am. Read several threads here that some babies go to bed at 7-7:30pm and sleep through the night until 5-6am!! Wow!!!! So jealous!!! How can they make their babies sleep for so long?? Can they really sleep for like 10 hrs stretch without waking up n the middle of the night???? Am thinking if I did that with my baby, would she wake up maybe at around 12-1am for a feed?!?!?! Surely sleeping earlier & more is a great thing for both mummy & baby, but how can you "force" your baby to sleep for so long?? What technique is there pls??

Is this just temporary? I read in an Australian magazine about babies sleep. It said that babies after 6 months old, their sleeping pattern will become like adults, "Deep sleep is before 12 midnight. 12-5 am is their dream sleep. After 5am is another deep sleep." What is a "dream sleep" pls?? So that means there really is some theory/myth about babies waking at 5am!

Can anyone offer any good advise/techniques to a very tired helper & mummy pls?!?!?! Thanks!!

OX Jess is offline Registered User
    Hi, my 9.5 month old is the same, wakes every day at around 5am. He will go back to sleep if I carry him and rock/pat him a bit but the point is I HAVE TO GET UP! I try not to feed him until at least 6:30am. But even if he is put back to sleep at 5am he will wake certainly by 7:30am. He goes to bed every night by 9:30 and his last feed is 11:30pm. This pattern has been in place since he's 6 months old. He is a pretty good sleeper unless he wakes at least once during the night, sometimes at 3am, sometimes at 5am.

Having said so, I am not that bothered and I don't really give it any attention althought I AM TIRED as I thought it's just a baby thing and babies do wake up some times during the night. Therefore, if anyone has any special technique I'd love to try.

Hi OX Jess,

Goes to bed at 9:30 pm and last feed at 11:30 pm?? So that means you take him out of bed at 11:30 pm to feed him whilst he's sleeping? Will they take the feed whilst they are asleep already??

(Sorry, I'm a first time mom!)

Workingmom1975 is offline Registered User
    I've been following the Gina Ford schedule since my baby was very young, and it has worked really well. He sleeps from 8p.m. to 7:30/8a.m. with one feed at midnight. I think there are two things that you could look into:
    1) How many hours does your baby sleep during the day? I think an 8-month-old only needs 14-15 hours of sleep a days. If she sleeps more during the night, she doesn't need that much sleep in the night.
    2) How dark is your baby's nursery? It's very easy for older babies to wake up early in the morning even with just a glimpse of the light. My baby's nursery is very dark when I close the curtain even during the day.

Good luck!

OX Jess is offline Registered User
    Miriam,

Yes, most of the time he is still sleeping when I feed him at 11:30pm but I think sucking from a feeding bottle is babies' reflex. Of course when I pick him up and offer him the bottle, he may open his eyes and look at me then he will close his eyes and finish his milk. I won't put him straight into bed after the feed, instead I will sit him up for awhile and give some slight pats on his back for a couple of minutes.

Thanks OX Jess,

Will try your method and see if it works for us.

Thanks!!

Workingmom1975,

1) My baby does not sleep so much during the day time. She's a very light sleeper. From what my helper tells me, she can sleep consecutively for 2-3 hrs once. The rest of her naps are just like for an hour or so. She doesn't sleep that much, compared to other babies I read/know about.

2) Her nursery, is not dark at all. Her curtains are champagne colored. Would a pitch-dark room make her sleep longer??

Thanks ~

BTW, my baby becomes really sleepy from about 9pm. However, I won't let her sleep until she has her last feed at 10pm. I'm worried if she sleeps so early, she'll be up at 12-1am!!

Am I wrong to think like that???

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast