Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

cough syrup

Aava.Wong is offline Registered User

cough syrup

my bub has been coughing for the past two/three weeks and i got him checked out by the doc and she said that it is just irritation causing it since he has no chest/throat infection. i've been giving him the cough syrup prescribed by the doc and it is finishing today.

should i go back to the doc to ask for more cough syrup or can i just buy it in watsons? if i can buy it in watsons then what's the name of the cough syrup? i have noticed that there is baby panadol but guess that is just for fever. pls help! i'm really wanting his cough to go away coz it has been too long!

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

Didn't the doctor give you the name of the cough syrup that he prescribed?

How long has your bub been taking the cough syrup - I would think you don't want to give it to him indefinitely....is the cough really bad? If it is just irritation (perhaps from the pollution) causing it, and there is no other medical reason for it (i.e. no infection) and he is not suffering too much from the cough perhaps you can just stop the cough syrup?

gladyswly is offline Registered User

Panadol doesn't take away cough, it's for pain and fever.

What I usually do is to go to the Pharmacy to buy meds for my baby instead of going to the doc again, paying a few hundred dollars for just simple cheap meds, no way. Unless you suspect there is something else with your bub that worries you and you want to let the doc to check it out, then absolutely go to the doc. But if you are just looking for the med, then why not go to the Pharmacy to get it yourself to save some money and hassle? Clinic is not a best place for little ones.

But then again, I am a nurse so I know what med is right for my baby and how much she needs to take. If you are in doubt you can always take the med that your doc prescribed to the pharmacy in watsons or mannings, some of the stores there have licensed pharmacists so they can help you out with the meds.

Hope your little one get well soon!

carang is offline Registered User

my son has been coughing for over 2 weeks. it started to get better, then the pollution hit and it got worse. i assumed it was from the bad air, but last night my boy developed a low-grade fever. we decided to take him back to the doctor today (2nd visit). i'm VERY glad we did, i had suspected that he had an ear infection (causing the fever) and was coughing because of the air...

he has bronchitis!!! his coughing is pretty much non-stop all day and all night long. this morning, it caused him to vomit.

i guess what i'm trying to say is: if you are unsure, then go back to the doctor.

ps> normally, i wouldn't have taken him back again, BUT he's susceptible to ear infections, so that is what i assumed it was. you are NOT a doctor (or nurse), if the cough has persisted for 2-3 weeks, then i would def. take the little one back again.

Frenchy is offline Registered User

If you son is still coughing after 3 weeks taking some syrup, then it's better to go back to your doctor, as the syrup is apparently not helping. Also, coughing is a good body reaction, to take the flame out of the lungs. Maybe it's better to get something else instead of a syrup bought locally which might not be adapted (dry, non dry, irritated cough needs different treatment).

thanks for your replies! he vomitted twice while coughing and had low grade fever in the weekend. when i took him to the doc last week, he hadn't vomitted or had fever then so she passed it off as "irritation".

his fever hasn't returned nor has he vomitted this week - just the annoying cough remains which is decreasing s...l...o...w...l...y! if i can buy the cough syrup in watsons pharmacy then i dont have to take him back to the doc with the same symptom again.

BTW, does anyone give vitamin supplements to their LOs? if yes then which vitamin supplements are you giving and from what age did the LO start taking them?