Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

19 months old got bronchitis, not eating for 4 days!

beachedwhale is offline Registered User

19 months old got bronchitis, not eating for 4 days!

Hi everyone!

We told LO to see doctor yesterday and he got bronchitis. he is not eating ANYTHING for the past 4 days! He got no fever, but sore throat and ear infection, coughing and runny nose. And he spit out most of the antibiotic I gave him.

I am very worried, doctor said it's normal for him not eating due to sore throat, as long as he is drinking lots. I tried to give him different kind of food (jelly, yoghurt, cookies, cereal etc). still nothing! I am really devastated.

He is drinking all kind of juice, maybe 4 oz of milk per day. I managed to put mutli-vit in his juice today and he managed to finish it. but how can he survive without food....

Does anyone has any suggestion what to do? How can I give him the medicine without him spitting out? How can I make him eat? He seems active but weak....

shuchisingh is offline Registered User
    oh.. poor baby.

it's normal for them not to eat when down with something like bronchitis or flu etc. give him milk when possible - that's nutrition and more calories than juice.

he will make up for all the missed food / lost weight when he's feeling better.

southside852 is offline Registered User
    when my son is like that, i make sure he is drinking liquids all the time. it makes for very wet diapers hrly, but remember that you can survive without food, but not wiithout liquids. i also leave finger foods around the house in bowls that he likes - it doesn't matter what it is, but he always tends to graze when he's not feeling well. there's not set meal times, i just always offer throughout the day his favorite foods.

My son has had bronchitis before - it's not fun. When he had hand and foot, he was eating nothing so we gave electrolytes dilluted with his water.

they all get through it, just give him lots of TLC.

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by southside852 View Post
    My son has had bronchitis before - it's not fun. When he had hand and foot, he was eating nothing so we gave electrolytes dilluted with his water.
    Ours was the same when he had severe bronchitis. We went to the pharmacy and got electrolytes for kids in small sachets and included that in his drinks. He didn't eat throughout the entire ordeal.

And yes! They do make up for the loss of appetite once they have recovered.

beachedwhale is offline Registered User
    Thanks a lot! it feels like forever when the Lo is not eating. hope he bounce back soon....

Sazzy is offline Registered User
    Not eating is not fun. How about home-made smoothies?? And I agree, just leave bowls of food on the table so that he can grab it when he wants it.

With regards to giving him medicine, the best technique is with a syringe. This sounds really nasty but its for the best. Your son lies on his back. One person holds his arms down and squeezes the cheeks together so that the mouth is open. the other person puts in the medicine. They have no choice but to swallow. This is really upsetting for you as a mum but does work.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    I second the smoothies, if he`s willing to drink a heavy drink, the poor little guy. yogurt, bananas, avocado, soft tofu, milk powder, berries, anything he likes.
    I hope he starts to eat soon.
    Oh and syringe medicine giving is the way to go. I don`t think any kid likes it but, hey, too bad, we`re bigger and stronger:)

ihave3cats is offline Registered User
    Hi,
    I used to mix the antibiotic into yogurt for my son to eat. When he was younger, he was always getting bronchitis.. Most coughing off the whole winter. It was quite miserable to see him like that. Now he is 4 and is very healthy, eating alot excepts that his cough tends to last longer than other kids.

My pediatrician gave him vendolin using the neubiliser. It helps the child to feel much better.

Hopes Lo gets well real soon.