Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Furious on my son's 1st Local KG Interview

carang is offline Registered User
    listen ladies... i have wanted to set up a kindergarten for years... i have the experience and the know how... i just don't have the $$$... but don't be fooled, it takes MILLIONS to be able to do it!

flobash is offline Registered User
    really ? well - 15 of us could put in 100k, would that work ? i'm very keen on this idea and have PM'd Babington ....keep me in the loop ! i'd start a new forum if i could figure out how to do it !!

thanks, flo... that would be great, but it would take MILLIONS to get it going. no jokes! just for my small playgroup centre, i've probably invested over $100,000 on TOYS, another $50-60,000 on books, $15,000 on furnishings/electronics etc. that doesn't even begin to look at rent/deposits etc.

i bought all of the "interior" paint and my hubby and i painted the whole place and added stickers (that i drew and cut out) to "finish" it off...i think it looks pretty good!

Home

or.... do you mean each of 15 of you put in $100k? that would give $1.5M... i could work with that and probably get a fairly nice place going! it would take a while, though, to go through the EDB in order to get all of the necessary approvals etc.

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    Checked out your website, I think it looks pretty good too.

I'd be in, as I think there's money to be made if it's done right but 15 equal partners trying to agree...eek!

Bumps Guest
    Personally, I think you are better off working small and being more boutique in Hong Kong. There are far too many overheads otherwise and high staff turnover can really break a centre too. If you wanted the centre to offer English as the main medium then you would really need some highly qualified and experienced English teachers in there from word go and they don't come cheap especially if they are EDB qualified. I know from experience that parents prefer qualified to non-qualified teachers. Boutique offers a more personal experience.

i don't want to be boutique. i want to make a decent english/western-style education available to most (personally, i cannot fathom paying the ESF kindergarten fees!)

i have contacts in the college of education at the university that i attended (a few professors that i know), so i would most likely be able to hire qualified BEd teachers.

the problem is as jvn rightly pointed out... getting 15 people to agree... i would need basically carte blanche in developping the place. i would want to be the final decision... i do have 15 years worth of experience teaching in hk and experience over the past few years running my own place.

like i said, i know what i want to do. i know how i want to do it. i even have ideas on location... i just don't have the necessary $ to back me up. my hubby and i are both self-employed, so our income (especially his, mine is fairly steady) is very sporadic.

as for staff turnover- i treat my employees how i would want to be treated. i pay WELL above the going hourly rate for a centre, i listen to suggestions and ideas from staff. before i make any major changes to schedules etc, i run them past staff to see what they think BEFORE it happens. (and it's not done in a "if you don't like it, you can lump it" kind of way...) i REALLY want my teachers/staff to be happy, to enjoy the job and to enjoy working for me. so far, so good.

all it takes to give a more "personal" experience to students and parents are owners/staff who actually care about the well-being of the child and put monetary considerations second.

(is that what you tell someone who is thinking about investing? putting $ considerations second???LOL!)

Bumps Guest
    Sounds like you have really thought this through.... I wish you well! I personally like what you have :)

thanks, bumps... like i said, i've been thinking about it for a long time now.

don't get me wrong, i like what i have now, too... i'm very proud of it and of my staff who all do such a great job! however, i know i could do more, with the right resources & support.

ahhhh, well... back to dreaming.... for the time-being....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast