Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Furious on my son's 1st Local KG Interview

bruhildda is offline Registered User

Angry Furious on my son's 1st Local KG Interview

I'm rather disappointed, actually really furious on my son's local kg interview today. We are really keen on sending our son to a local kg for one reason..... for him to learn to speak Cantonese and read/write Chinese. We are permanent residents and would probably stay here for a loooooong time, well I've been here for 15 years.

Anyways, according to the Education Bureau website..... "Non-Chinese speaking children are encouraged to study in kindergartens which adopt Chinese as the medium of instruction so that they can integrate into the local community and master the Chinese language as early as possible".

So imagine our horror, when we were told by this KG in Hung Hom that they could not take our son as he doesn't speak Cantonese, will not fit in with his local classmates and the teachers will have more difficulty in teaching him. They even said that he performed badly during the interview.

I personally think it's simply silly interviewing kids for KG but c'mon... put a 2year old on a room full of toys..... and what will he do? Play of course..... Just because he didnt say "apple" when you point on the picture doesnt mean he didnt understand you. He was distracted of course but we were told that his comprehension in English is not even good so what more in Cantonese.

Well, this KG has a local and international stream and they were pushing for us to enroll him in the international stream and the only reason that we could think of is......The school fee on the intl. side is almost 3x compared to the local one.

It's not about the fee in the 1st place.... it's about language immersion.

So... here we are.... back to square one.
    Have you ever experienced something similar?
    Any suggestion? we live in Hung Hom area so TST, Yaumatei, Jordan, Kowloon Tong area will all be considered.

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User
    Try Learning Habitat. They are much friendlier when we approached them. There was no difference in cost between the streams. Has a good reputation. What about PIPS at Elements?

carang is offline Registered User
    i'm sorry for your terrible encounter. i HATE the idea of interviewing at this age. it is completely ridiculous.

but, just to let you know there are MANY local kindergartens that are NOT like the one you attended today.

Thanks for all the replies.
    I am really disheartened, this is our 1st interview and I cant even describe how I feel now. 1st interview, 1st rejection.

I am a working mom and even took a day off and hubby extended break for this interview.

Haay... I'm sure my son doesnt care and doesnt even know what is going on but I dont even know if want to go through this again.
    Well I guess someone saying that your 2-year old only child "performed" badly is not very easy to take.

Lisainhk is offline Registered User
    Oh wow! That's really tough! What kind of 'interview' do they do anyway?? What are they testing for??

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    my sister's son interviewed for K3 and they said he "failed" the interview because had "behavioral problems" because he was playing with a sausage and pretending it was a sword (as in one from star wars)...when she told my mom she laughed because it was just so ridiculous, and my sister burst out in tears! her sons now at another school who doesn't see such behavior so negatively but rather as things that children do...so, i wouldn't worry too much! there's always a school out there for your kid!

@lisainhk
    Yeah, it was really tough. I do not know really what they are looking for on kids that they accept.

They have a book and they point on pictures of apples, cars, shoes, etc and asked my son what it is. They have asked him to identify shapes, animals, parts of his body, play with blocks, etc. My son was able to answer some questions but he was just too distracted with all the colourful toys around him. And when it was time to leave and give back the toy car that he was holding, he cried.
    I guess normal behaviour of a 2-year old, well correct if I am wrong.

@lesliefu
    I totally understand why your sister cried... I want to cry too. It even made me doubt my mommy/parenting skills and question my son's behaviour too.... Totally wrong, I know but this horrible experience somehow it made me feel that way.

geomum is offline Registered User
    Just wonder sometimes if the people behind the desk interviewing have kids of their own.
    Bruhildda don't be upset about this incident, kindergarten interviews are just a cover up. I feel the school already has a list of favourable candidates they want to take in. I am sure your son will find another nicer kindergarden to go to. You can always complain about this to education bureau if you like, but don't think much will come out of it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast