Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

looking for a true Mandarin kindergarten

new in town is offline Registered User

looking for a true Mandarin kindergarten

Hi, we're new in Hong Kong. I have a 4-year old son and we're looking for a 100% Mandarin kindergarten and later on, primary school for him. I'm originally from Taiwan so he speaks very good Mandarin and we just moved from Vancouver, Canada so he has been exposed to English (better in listening, not too much speaking). Since we're only planning to stay in HK for 5 years, we've decided that it'd be best for him to learn Mandarin while he is here and he will pick up English when we move back to Canada. We've started to look for kindergartens here and have realized that it's hard to find such schools. So far, we've only identified Kiangsu & Chekiang Int'l school. I've phoned them and they told me that the acceptance rate is 20% last year. So we need to have other alternatives!
    I have a friend whose situation is just like me and she ended up enrolling her son to a public school in Taiwan while her husband works in HK! She simply gave up due to her frustrations. However, we'd like to have the family together! Please help. Much appreciated!

alibali is offline Registered User
    Hi,
    I have a couple of friends whose children are from mainland China and they send their kids to:

KIANGSU & CHEKIANG PRIMARY SCHOOL
    地址: 香港北角清華街30號
    Address: 30 CHING WAH STREET NORTH POINT HK
    電話 Tel: 25704173 傳真 Fax: 28072739

I'm not sure if they have a preschool class, but if they don't, they might be able to suggest one to you. Good luck.

alibali is offline Registered User
    Sorry, I didn't see the bottom part of your message as it was cut off on my screen. I'm afraid I haven't heard of any other mandarin schools in HK.

chubbysan is offline Registered User
    You can try Independent School of Foundation (ISF). Kids in early years are exposed to 70% Mandarin & 30% English. My daughter has a very good Mandarin Teacher at ISF and she is from Taiwan.

All the Best!

new in town is offline Registered User
    Thank you all for your suggestions.
    Chubbysan, how does your daughter like ISF? Is she happy there? And in your opinion, is it worth the money? Also, what are the chances of getting in the school? My son is fluent in Mandarin but doesn't understand cantonese at all.

chubbysan is offline Registered User
    New in town, My girl loves the school & her teachers. I wld say that she is enjoying her learning so far. Check it out when is the next school tour, and go view the school for yourself and see if think is the right school for yr son. As for cantonese, i don think is a requirement. The main language in the school are Mandarin & English.