Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Trip to HK!

vitasoy_125ml is offline Registered User

Trip to HK!

Hi all,

My friend and I will be coming back to HK for a visit with our 10 month old babies.

In canada, we can breastfeed anywhere we want and no one will look at us or stare. I was wondering if it would be the same in HK? or will we need to find a more private place to do it when we are out?

With diapers, how much are diapers in HK?.or is it more economical to pack diapers too cuz it's always on sale here in canada??

Restaurants - are there high chairs ? is it safe? or do we need to bring our fisher price booster seat to go out?

Malls/resturants - Are change tables available?

ANy baby friendly malls/resturants that you would suggest??

Taxi = Do you usually just hold your baby while sitting in taxi? no car seat needed rite??

Thanks !!!!

Lisainhk is offline Registered User
    Yau Ma Tei
    Breastfeeding in public is still awkward here for me but as long as you are covered up, no worries! I haven't seen many other people doing it in public but bub's gotta eat! I usually go to a starbucks and face the wall or something. I've had no troubles :)
    The diapers we buy are 90Hk dollars for 60. I don't know how to convert that to Canadian dollars sorry.
    Most restaurants have high chairs (well the ones I have been to do). They seem to me to be safe.
    I've had a bit of trouble finding change tables in most restaurants and also some malls but lots of them do have them. I usually just change his nappy in the pram if there's no change tables available.
    The Elements mall is really baby friendly :) It's above Kowloon station. Also Kowloon Tong Festival Walk has a great breast feeding room as does the mall in Mong Kok east (can't remember the name I think it's Grand Century Place).
    Yeah I hate using the taxi's coz there are no car seats. Not safe! But if I have to take one I just strap bub in on my lap.
    That's my 2 cents worth. Enjoy your trip! :))))

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Tsuen Wan
    I actually found it more awkward to breastfeed in Canada, what with the breast obsession we have. Here you can do it if you`re covered up, or not covered up if you have no shame, but I still preferred to find a feeding room or bathroom, particularly when my baby was older.

A size M or L package of diapers (which your baby will probably be) is about $17 cad for 46/40 respectively. Canada is cheaper but buy yourself some convenience and just buy them here. They have pampers and huggies.

I find restaurants VERY hit or miss here, and that`s one thing that really bugs me. Especially when they have a seat or a booster but there`s no safety strap. It happens a lot, unless you`re going to `name-brand` restos. Unless you`re staying in a place that has no high chair (ie hotel and plan to eat in the room a lot), I don`t think it`s a bad idea to bring your fisher price booster, but it would be pretty burdensome to take around town and I have never seen anyone do so.

Changing tables - you will seldom find one in a restaurant, in my experience, but most malls have either a baby room or at least a changing table in the bathroom. Otherwise you can just use your stroller.

Baby friendly malls - Kowloon Elements rates the top of my list in terms of beautiful baby room. But most malls have a baby place, so don`t worry about that.

Taxis here are the same as canada - you just hold your baby in your arms. For added protection you can use a baby carrier in the car.

banane76 is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    I agree, just bring some diapers, but buy them here so you don't have to pack it all. Depending where I am, I use my nursing apron, but usually, my baby gets too hot so I don't get bothered if people want to stare. I just try to be discreet. The Harbour city mall in TST has a baby room as well, but it was in use when I was there so we used the handicapped washroom to feed and they had changing tables there. IFC mall also has nice washrooms and probably Pacific Place.

I find restaurants are better than cafes with change tables. For example, most starbucks I've been to don't have changing tables so I just change it on their furniture with a changemat and if they say anything I'll just tell them that they need to put a changetable in their bathroom.

Have fun on your trip!

capital is offline Banned
    We travel to HK from Canada quite a bit, from my experience:

Breastfeeding, you can BF anaywhere, I've had a few old men stare, but that is it. I do use a light weight nursing apron, more for the benefit of my husband and Mother in law, they are more concerned about staring and I dont' really care.

Diapers, They are a bit more, but not so much that is is worth the space in your suitcase to haul them along, I take a few for the first few days, to give me time to get to the store.

High chairs, they have them, but they are more for an older baby, toddler, I wouldn't put a little one in the chair. We just hold the baby or keep him in the stroller. I wouldn't bother travelling and hauling along a booster chair with you, especially if you are taking public transportation, it will be a major pain.

Change tables, restaurants , almost never, malls sometimes, usually in the area of the childrens stores. you will get used to changing the baby in the stroller

Tweun wan has abig mall, the lower floor is all chilrens stores, i think it is called discovery plaza

Taxi = we hold the baby, even though it is completely unsafe. It makes me really uneasy, but I do it anywayand pray we aren't in an accident

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Tsuen Wan
    The ~baby/children`s~ mall is in Tsuen Wan, the last stop on the red line. It`s called Discovery Park Shopping Mall.