Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sippy cup, 10 months old, too young?

newbiekt is offline Registered User
    My son will only drink from a cup with a straw too - he is now 11 months and never got the hang of the ones with spouts. My son was just like yours and loved gnawing on the spout. I tried a few and gave up. I now also give him the doidy cup (open but with an angle) a lot and he is getting pretty good with that too.

Suv
    Suv is offline Registered User
    My son could not figure out the sippy cup or the straw till 14 months too- he kept biting it and thought they were very funny. But he was comfortable drinking from a regular glass as young as 11 months- go figure!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by newbiekt View Post
    My son will only drink from a cup with a straw too - he is now 11 months and never got the hang of the ones with spouts. My son was just like yours and loved gnawing on the spout. I tried a few and gave up. I now also give him the doidy cup (open but with an angle) a lot and he is getting pretty good with that too.
    Can you buy those doidy cups in HK?? Where at? I was thinking of getting one... I haven't looked for them yet but if you know, it'll save me the search ;) Also how much do they cost?

PurpleFlower is offline Registered User
    My son couldn't work out the sippy cup at first either and we read that one way is to remove the "non-spill" valve so that on the off chance that they tip it (in their mouths) they will realise that water comes out of it. And that to just leave the cup there at every meal and, one day, they will just pick it up and start drinking from it! And he did! =D Once he worked it out, we put the valve back in.

Not sure what the doidy cup is, but mothercare had a cup that you could convert stage 1 = sippy spout, stage 2 = lid with an open spout (?), stage 3 = rim that directs the liquid (or something - haven't really looked into that one in detail)....? I bought it from Mothercare in Lee Gardens

PurpleFlower is offline Registered User
    PS. it does get messy without the non-spill (as you can imagine!) as, most of the time, it's tipped "out of the mouth"!! ;P

southside852 is offline Registered User
    Not too early at all as we introduced a sippy cup to my son at 6 months too. He did not like it and prefers the cups with straws.

monte is offline Registered User
    Funny how kids are so different! Mine took to the sippy cup right away but took forever to get how to use a straw! But actually, we only use the sippy cup if we're out, but started on a regular glass at a pretty young age (11 or 12 mo, I think) We used a shot glass (!) and espresso mug ... both are just the right size for little hands, and if they spill it's not that much liquid. (great advice we got at a baby shower, and from a single man, no less: never pour more than you're willing to clean up!) We keep a little pitcher on the table so it's easy to refill. He loves using it and obviously feels proud to be drinking out of a real glass. Our son is fairly calm, but still, in a year, we've only broken one glass.

hkmom1 is offline Registered User
    Hi,

I just introduced my 6 month old son to sippy cup. I first took out the safety thing inside the cup so that water just poured out of the spout. Then he figured out that water comes out of there. After a very wet/messy week I put the inside thing back in and now he sucks from it and drinks water well from the sippy cup.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast