Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Selling Quilted Handbag for Children`s Charity

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

Selling Quilted Handbag for Children`s Charity

Hi,
    I hope no one minds that I post this here.

I`m selling a handmade quilted handbag made from traditional Karen(local ethnicity from Burma) and Burmese textiles by women who are survivors of trafficking. It would make a good baby bag, large enough to fit a lot of things.

A few years ago when I was living in Thailand, I co-founded a children`s charity, helping to support unparented children from the Thai-Burma border (where I lived). We help support children in dormitories in a refugee camp as well as migrant communities.

I`m still helping to run the org with my colleagues (in Singapore and Thailand) and we have recently partnered with another local org in Thailand on an income generation project to make quilts and now handbags. I just received this handbag from my colleage in Thailand and I hope to sell it here. it`s good quality, attractive, and hand-made.

100% of profits benefit 2 groups:
    - Women who made it receive a wage for their work, skilling training and help with future job placement in the sewing industry.Social Action for Women www.sawburma.org (but looks like the site is down now)
    - Children on the Thai-Burmese border with no parents receive shleter, vegetables, rice, blankets, candles, among other support, from the profits. Room to Grow Foundation (this is my org)

I attached a couple of pictures. I`m also interested to have baby quilts made so if anyone has some interest, please let me know. Other handbags can also be made to order based on style and size. Please contact me for more information.

I`m asking $200 for this handbag.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Shenzhennifer; 04-03-2010 at 12:09 PM.

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    Shenzhennifer, I would like to donate to support your cause. How may I do that?

Thanks, Obiwan, I sent you a PM.

Also, if anyone wants to read this page of our charity blog that explains more about this particular income generation project, here is the link:
    The Blanket Blog Room to Grow Foundation

The handbag has now been sold. Thank you very much for letting me post here.
    Especially, thank you to those who contacted me to donate or offer their help to our charity. A little help goes a long way.

All the best~