Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which hospital to choose??

DaliHK is offline Registered User

Question Which hospital to choose??

Hi there,
    I just found out I am pregnant :-) and now I am rushed to book a hospital bed.. Wow.. Where do I start?

I think my insurance covers private, so I am considering Matilda, Adventist or Queen Mary's.
    - Any experiences?
    - Can I visit the maternity wards before deciding? How does that work?
    - What are very important things that I should look out for?

I don't know much yet, but i think i would prefer natural delivery, my partner present, help with breast-feading and my newborn with me as much as possible.

Thanks a lot for your help!

DaliHK

carang is offline Registered User
    if money is not an object, i'd go for matilda. but i don't think it is you who books the bed, rather your doctor, so forget hospitals and find a doctor ASAP.

QMH is different, it is a gov't hospital that offers both private and public healthcare. not sure how the private aspect of it works, though, sorry.

StareBear is offline Registered User
    There are lots of threads on this topic but I think the general consensus is that if you have private insurance and you are on the Island then go to the Matilda. I had my first baby there last year and it was a fantastic experience and would satisfy all the things you mentioned above. To maximise your chances of getting a room there I would recommend using an OB who is resident there and you need to book when you are 9 weeks pregnant (although the doctor's office should take care of this). I used Dr Doo and would highly recommend him if you are after a natural delivery.

IndiDay is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    if money is not an object, i'd go for matilda. but i don't think it is you who books the bed, rather your doctor, so forget hospitals and find a doctor ASAP.

QMH is different, it is a gov't hospital that offers both private and public healthcare. not sure how the private aspect of it works, though, sorry.
    totally agree.
    QMH has good doctors but the private care could cost a mint without insurance. They would ask you to sign a form to switch over to their public care and once committed, it could be difficult to switch back.

she has insurance, what she needs to find out is which hospitals accept her insurance cover...it is NEVER difficult to switch to private from public... are you kidding? think of the $$$ the hospital stands to gain from you...

Sazzy is offline Registered User
    Hi - find out exactly what your insurance covers. Some private hospital charges will be over HK$100,000. You generally cant choose a hospital as you have to choose an obs. Each obs is assigned a hospital. So if you obs practices out of Matilda then thats the hospital you will go too.

DaliHK is offline Registered User
    Thank you, all! I will find out what my insurance covers! and I do have an obs, so that should work out fine.
    However I need to be able to make my own choices and ask the right questions, so I need information haha!

Did you visit the hospitals before you decided to book there? if yes, how does that work?

Thnx!

no, not ever ob can deliver at every hospital.

you can:

1)first find the ob that you like, THEN you ask which hospitals they deliver at, THEN you ask them to book you into the hospital that you like. but you have to hurry because the hospitals book up VERY fast!

or
    2)find the hospital you like,THEN find a doctor that can deliver there, then have them book you into a hospital.

i have NEVER heard a bad thing about matilda in all my years on this site.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast