Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Baby is allergic/reacting to most solid food?

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    Nope - no reaction. I was always really careful with his food thought because we have a history of allergies in our family.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    My baby got a rash on his face when he ate peas (and maybe a few other things, but milder) when he was about 6-7 months. When I tried again a few months later he was ok.
    Maybe start with milder foods like apples, pears, banana - these are all low allergen.
    Personally I would not continue giving a food if my baby got a rash from it. Since he`s still young, his system still might be a bit immature. Try the allerigc foods again in a couple of months and try to give other ones in the meantime.
    I`m curious though why he had a reaction to the rice cereal. But if he`s ok with the congee, I would keep giving that to him.

pixelelf is offline Registered User
    my baby had the same reaction when he first started on solids. sweet potatoes, yam, melons and a whole list goes on. yet the pd wasnt worried. he said as long as he was not swollen or had respiratory problems, these rashes will come and go. there were rashes all over his face and body that came and went. i was frustrated as well as worried. we gave him the same food after he turned 1 year old and he was alright, except he refused to eat them most of the time. looking back, im wondering if it was because we did not buy organic and if it was the pesticide level in the vegetables? im don't know. but am glad it's passed and he's already 2 years old. even though there's no more rash "allergy" he still has "allergy" to food. he still says NO! :)

carang is offline Registered User
    i NEVER bought organic and neither of my kids had rashes... don't think that has much to do with it. (you do realise, that when organic, it usually means they use poop to fertilise the crops, right?)

saying, "no!" is a 2 yr old's main job in life, i think....(at least it was for my 2 kids! LOL!)

Workingmom1975 is offline Registered User
    Hi Pixelelf,

I actually fed my baby only organic food so pesticide shouldn't be a problem. So how did you handle the situation? Which solid food did you feed you baby before he turned one? Thanks!

pixelelf is offline Registered User
    i tested one food at a time. as he grew older like 8mths, i combined 1 food that he was alright with, with another new food for 3 days. and see if he had an reaction. if he had, i'd stop feeding that new food and try again 2 months later. actually the reaction is almost immediate. rashes started to form within 2 hours of ingestion.

he ate:
    brocoli
    peas
    carrots
    spinach
    pumpkin
    bananas
    pears
    plums
    cabbage
    tofu
    eggplant
    cherries
    cheerios
    toast with any of his ok-ed fruit puree
    pasta
    rice
    porridge
    he refused all meat and fish proteins so we only made stock and cooked the above list.

he had rashes reaction to:
    all melons
    sweet potatoes
    yam
    potatoes
    yogurt
    avocado
    papaya
    apples (can you believe that?!?)
    tomato

City Jammer is offline Registered User
    My little girl suffers from food allergies too (since I have those myself). She's been treated by Dr. Lynn Lim at the OT&P clinic in Central and so did I. She's completely cleared her egg allergy and now being treated for soy. You can call OT&P clinic at 2121-1402 to make an appointment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12