Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Harry Wright or ESF swimming?

snagito is offline Registered User

Harry Wright or ESF swimming?

Looking to put our 4 year old into a once-a-week swim class very soon and deciding between Harry Wright at West Island School and the ESF swim classes at South Island school. Any experience to share with either? Our son is willing to put his head underwater and generally splash around - just needs to learn strokes and how to get going now so is past the toddler-swim stage I guess. Other option might be private swim lessons - all input most welcome - thanks!

carang is offline Registered User
    last year, i wanted the same thing for my son, but he was TERRIFIED of putting his head under.

we went to the public pool and i had a chat with the lifeguard (she was on a break) about it. i found out that she taught privately and so we started classes with her the next week.

within a month (2x/week for 1.25hrs/class) he was swimming to the bottom of the pool to get toys!

it might be something to consider instead of a big class.

i'm going to be calling her again soon to start with both kids next month, i hope!

mazamarie is offline Registered User
    Carang any chance of grabbing her contact details and price.

I take it you just went to the pool in Sai Kung for the lessons?

yep, but she actually lives in Po Lam (if memory serves...)
    I'll dig out her number. called her today and left a message, hoping to get the kids back into the water by May.

forgot to mention that the teachers english is not very good and she conducts my kids lessons 95% in chinese and 5% in english...still interested?

rani is offline Administrator
    Have heard good things about Harry Wright, and kids make significant progress fairly quickly. However, it is a bit more expensive than ESF.

We've been with ESF for the last 3 years and have been happy. They have hired a number of new teachers and the majority are good. But there's one local teacher, who can't speak English very well, and gets really frustrated with the kids, and splashes them in the face to get their attention. Luckily he's not our teacher, but my son says, if he gets promoted, he refuses to sign up for his class.

rani is offline Administrator
    Update from us on ESF South Island School. We somehow enrolled in the crazy teacher's class this term. He's been ok so far. I haven't seen any splashing and he's been somewhat patient except for today. My little guy got yelled at, and was in tears. I had to step in and ask him not to yell at my kid. If he can't motivate and teach a child to swim without yelling at them, then he shouldn't be teaching.

There's a new Head of Swimming at ESF, and its been really chaotic at South Island. There was no registration desk, at the beginning of the term. People were wandering around lost, looking for their class. Even 4 weeks into the term, kids were still in the wrong class.

I think this maybe our last term at ESF.

PS: I managed to switch D to another class

snagito is offline Registered User
    That's too bad. Glad D is in another class now and thanks for the feedback. We are with Harry Wright at West Island (beginner level 1 its called) and it's OK, but there are too many children in the class. 9 children, 2 instructors, I know it doesn't sound so bad, but the reality is that the kids don't learn that much or that quickly; they don't progress to the next level and for around HK $225 a 45 minute class, I think that's not so great. I do have a voucher that I need to use for ESF Sports before May 2011, but will see if I can use it for something else rather than swimming at South Island!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast