Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Clearwater Bay / Sai Kung Vs Southside

collsi is offline Registered User

Clearwater Bay / Sai Kung Vs Southside

Hi

We are a family of 4 currently living on the southside (Stanley-Tai Tam area). Our lease will be up for renewal in a few months and we are considering whether a move towards the Clearwater Bay / Sai Kung area would be beneficial for the children (almost 3 and 5 months). Has anyone made a similar move recently? or can anyone comment on living in this area with two young children (english speaking family)?

I have searched the threads already but the posts are dated. Would appreciate any comments.

carang is offline Registered User
    what would you like to know?

(haven't made a move as could never afford southside, but have lived in both Clearwater Bay & Sai Kung).

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    Hi Collsi, Do not have children yet (trying), but moved from the south side to Saikung about a year ago. The main difference is of course the space. Initially I really wanted to stay south side but you can get something 3 or 4x the size for the same budget in Saikung - that was more important to me in the end. It also means that my family can come and stay for long periods of time without us all getting on top of each other. It isn't too long a journey into Hong Kong, and it is really nice to be out in the countryside. There are quite a few families with kids in our village and all seem very happy....

at least (space wise)...
    $16.8k rent got us:
    2100'
    5 bed
    4 bath
    2 balconies
    rooftop
    1000'+ garden
    2 carparks

BUT we are in sai kung country park, where rent is even cheaper than CWB or Sai Kung.

sunrays is offline Registered User
    I've a feeling you struck that deal a while ago carang. Rents are up a lot a and are more likely to be at least $30k, and around $45 in Clearwater Bay. But I guess Southside is up too so it is all relative. One thing we have noticed in CWB this year is the humidity.Much higher than Southside. Would you agree?

nope, as i said we are in sai kung country park... which is why it's cheaper (much) than CWB...

we signed our second lease last august and it was our second one.

the humidity this year has been REALLY bad... but i think that is because of all the drizzle...which would pretty much affect all areas of hk.

collsi is offline Registered User
    Thanks carang, Liquorice, and sunrays for your replies.

The main reason we are considering moving is for space, outdoor space in particular, so that the children could play outside without it requiring a trip.
    We are happy with the facilities and like where we are currently living but all else being equal useable outdoor space would swing it.
    Our concern is that we don't want to make the move and loose a lot of the benefits we currently have just for some additional space.
    Some specific questions
    - are there many english speaking schools and do they have waiting lists like elsewhere in HK? (trying to gauge how far would need to travel daily)
    - are there complex's / areas with lots of younger children and stay at home mums? or would we be likely to feel a bit isolated?
    - are there a lot of facilities for young children in these areas? are there lots of things to do with young children for a couple of hours as well as a day?
    - is it easy to get taxi's?
    - is it easy to commute to central?
    - are there many places to eat out with young children?

Re the humidity - its been really bad here this year, it feels like we have been living in a cloud for the past number of months - It can't go away quick enough :)

Sorry for the long post :)

it would completely depend upon where you choose to live. i find sai kung much easier with kids as you are near a "town centre". there is a large-ish supermarket, restaurants (lots are kid-friendly), playgroups, music centres, playgrounds (i can think of 3 or 4 right in sai kung town), a public swimming pool, a library a waterfront (my kids love running along the waterfront) etc.

if you live in a complex, there will be a small playground/possible communal pool etc. if you live in a village house, that is not necessarily the case.

taxis are abundant, but morning rush hour can be a pain in the neck (no moreso than elsewhere, though)

lots of english speaking schools? there's Clearwater Bay School, Renaissance College, Good Hope School (local curriculum EMI with an excellent reputation), Adventist College....but as with all schools, there will most likely be waiting lists.

there are LOADS of kids around, maybe not all are expats, but that's a GOOD thing! my son goes to a local kindergarten and LOVES it! so much so, we have decided to try him in a local cantonese primary! in his current kindie class, probably 1/4 of the kids are western/mixed and they are all learning cantonese!

places to eat:
    anthony's ranch (kids LOVE it! provide crayons for colouring)
    Sawadee Thai (beside mcd's... provide crayons~they know my kids by name and always say hi, even if we are just walking past)
    many chinese restaurants
    pepperoni's pizza
    jaspa's
    cru
    ali oli bakery
    paisano's pizza (best in sai kung, probably all of hk!)
    japanese restaurants
    indian
    sri lankan
    malaysian
    vietnamese (more fast food than restaurant, but YUMMY!)
    anthony's catch (seafood~ western style)
    3 or 4 pubs etc...
    all of what i've described is for sai kung town only (except the schools as they serve the entire area).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast