Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Anyone use a bike seat to transport their child?

wanfamily is offline Registered User

Anyone use a bike seat to transport their child?

Hi,
    I was hoping to get one of those seats that you put on the back of your adult bike to transport a toddler. I was doing some research on this as I want to get a decent safe seat. I called a large bike shop and a very friendly bloke told me that he doesn't stock them because officially HK is one of the only countries where this practice is illegal - though everybody does it and no-one actually gets stopped for it....? My local bike shops stock nice looking seats but an unknown brand (Sheng Fa industries), so I can't get any reviews/ info.
    Just wondering - do any of you use a bike seat with your child? If so, does anyone actually know the full legalities and can anyone recommend a decent safe seat?
    Cheers,
    Cath

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    I`m sorry to not have a recommendation. I just wanted to say that you are so lucky to live in an area that you can do that. I really miss riding a bike. Where I used to live (in thailand) a couple of years ago, one dad had 2 seats installed on his bike and transported his 2 toddlers around that way.
    I hope you can find a good seat - good luck!

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    I don't have a recommendation either for where to get one but I have recently moved to Discovery Bay and there are TONNES of people riding bikes with a toddler seat attached so there must be somewhere near there that they sell them. You could try a post of the DB Forum as well?

collsi is offline Registered User
    Hi,

I believe 'Bicycle World' in Wanchai stocks these, but don't have a recommendation for one.

rani is offline Administrator
    I didn't realize they were illegal. We see a couple of people in Pok Fu Lam riding with them.

wanfamily is offline Registered User
    I googled laws for bike seats in Hk and didn't come up with anything - maybe the bloke was pulling my leg, but he was from a large reputable bike shop....? He said it's some daft law about bikes only being meant for one but no-one ever keeps it and the police don't enforce it..Loads of people around here use those rattan things. I'll check up on the shop in Wan Chai - thanks :)