Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Matilda - 4 bedder, 2 bedder or private room?

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User

Matilda - 4 bedder, 2 bedder or private room?

Hi

I don't have a lot of insurance cover so a lot of our hospital costs are out of pocket. I can't decide between the 4 bedder, 2 bedder or a private room. Obviously, I would save a lot of money if I shared. But I'm concerned about privacy and cleanliness of shared facilities as I recall from my first birth how much blood there was and there was just me in a single room! I get a bit icky by blood.

Could mums who have been in a 4 bedder or 2 bedder please share their experience?

Thanks!

snagito is offline Registered User
    Since our insurance only covered part of the expenses at Matilda, I was in a 4 bed room --unfortunately all four beds were occupied for the first night I was there BUT only two were occupied the second night I was at Matilda.

I have to say that having only two people in the 4-bed ward made a huge difference and I didn't feel as 'crowded' as I did when there were a full 4 of us. However when I saw the 2-bed rooms which are a lot smaller I did think that I'd rather be in a 4 bed for the price difference and take a chance on some of those beds not being full on at least one of the nights.

Everything was super-clean so that wouldn't be a worry whether it was shared/not shared..Curtains gave enough privacy. And it was actually nice having someone else to chat to once in a while when hubby had dashed off somewhere..

I really wouldn't pay any extra for having my own room if it came out of my own pocket -it's all over so quickly really -just a few days -- I'd save the money and go on a super 5 star holiday after the birth instead!

Thanks Snagito.

I have more questions...
    Did you have a natural deliver or a c-section as I was wondering whether on your first night, after birth, what your comfort level was like with all the women around? Were there crying babies around while you slept? What about visitors? Was it intrusive in any way when there were visitors?

Cheers!

Flack is offline Registered User
    Quasimother

I had a natural delivery at Matilda and stayed in the 4 bed room. There were only 2 of us (both natural birth) the last 2 days and I was by myself the first 24 hours. Cleanliness was not an issue, but you can have the bathroom cleaned at any time you wish by calling the maid. Visitors were not a problem as we were spaced apart, however if there were 4 this could possibly be an issue. No problems with crying babies.

geomum is offline Registered User
    I was in a 4 bedroom and there was 2 of us there. Unfortunately it felt like a public ward since the lady was receiving visitors constantly and her husband who was there most of the time, was very loud. No issues about cleanliness in the bathroom as she was a clean freak like me ;) We both had natural deliveries, neither of our babies were crying a lot. About privacy no one can actually see you if put the curtain around your bed properly.

Thanks ladies!
    Are there set visiting hours like the public hospitals at the Matilda or you can receive visitors any time you like?

Flack is offline Registered User
    As there were only the 2 of us in the 4 bed room and we both didn't mind they didn't enforce the visiting hours. Husbands/Partners can visit from 8am or 9am (can't remember!) til late - I think 8 or 10pm and other visitors were supposed to be restricted to the afternoon for the 4 bed rooms.
    I think you can have visitors anytime in the private rooms.

snagito is offline Registered User
    I had a natural delivery. Re the visitors there was no real issue as people seemed to just come and go as they pleased and if yours were inside the curtains then no one seemed to notice really.. Also lots of babies spent quite a while in the nursery so was hardly ever 4 babies all at once.

You definitely won't be as comfy in a shared environment as in the private room but to me it just wasn't worth the extra $$.. I thought Matilda was really great either way and of course you can always check out early in a worst case scenario, or upgrade to a private room if they happened to have one available..

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast