Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any tips for travelling alone with children?

capital is offline Banned

Any tips for travelling alone with children?

I've done the flight to HK serveral times with children of various ages, but never alone. I'll be travelling with an 8 week old baby, 4 and 6 year old. Anything in particular that made it easier? i have a bassinette booked for the plane, although normally I don't like the bulkhead, at least I can Put the baby down occasionally.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Oh, I feel for you. And what a strong lady you must be! I would tell the airline about your situation ahead of time so that they can provide you with some assistance. It`s in their best interest as well. Do they still do tours of the cockpit, or is that only on tv?
    Games, new toys, dvd player, dsd/psp, snacks of all kinds(stuff they can`t normally eat might be welcome but I would be afraid of the sugar highs). Is it wrong to give children`s gravol? :)

aussie mum is offline Registered User
    I find the hardest part is all the stuff you feel like you need to bring on the plane. When you're flying on your own just take as little as possible. The older two should be ok by now right? And the little one too really. I find the really tough times are with kids aged between 9months and 2.5-3yrs.

Sorry I don't have tips!!! But good luck. I'm sure you'll be fine

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User
    Request for special assistance before you fly and remind them again when you check in. There is a special assistance counter at the Hong Kong International which we have used and they organise for a ground staff to assist you all the way from when you walk through customs all the way until you are on the plane.

During the flight, a flight attendant is usually assigned to assist you with such matters - they will look after the kids while you are at the loo so that they aren't alone, get you hot water or anything else you need. And remind them that you need a ground crew when you land in Canada from when you get off the plane. It's all covered under special assistance.

My experience is only limited to major airlines - Cathay Pacific, British Airways and Qantas.
    Last edited by TheQuasimother; 04-11-2010 at 12:48 PM.

Flack is offline Registered User
    Even if your baby is not in the bassinette, get the flight attendants to set it up for you, if you have the bulkhead row that is near the toilets. It stops everyone squeezing past you to get to the toilet on the other side of the aisle because they are too lazy to walk around! I did this after so many people squished past when I was trying to breastfeed, and they were standing on my feet, nappy bag, pushing against the baby and it made for a more peaceful flight!

southside852 is offline Registered User
    yes, like quasimother said, request, "meet and assist." i always do when i travel by myself (usually on cathay) with my son who is now 28 months. we had it when we did NYC - HK alone. My son was 18 months then and it was brillant. They meet you at the check-in counter, assist with security (she folded up my stroller etc...) and helped me at the gate. when i arrived in HK, they helped me deboard and got my luggage off the carousel too and helped me stroll the cart to my car service pick-up spot.

Sazzy is offline Registered User
    All I would say is make the most of the flight attendants. I always ask them to carry my baby whilst i eat / pee etc etc. Dont be afraid to ask.

southside852 is offline Registered User
    just an fyi - some flight attendants will not touch / watch your baby as it's a liability on their part so don't take it it the wrong way if they refuse to watch your baby while you go to the bathroom or try and eat....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast