Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should a 3-yr-old child know A thru' Z???

pandaclara is offline Registered User

Should a 3-yr-old child know A thru' Z???

My daughter is 3 years old. She can recognise the letters but can't memorize them in sequence. My hubby insists her to sing ABC song everyday. She is frustrated when she can't sing LMNOP. How can I help her?

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    I don't know if a 3-year-old should absolutely be able to do that. In the States we begin kindergarten at 5-years-old and by the end of kindergarten we know our ABCs and some simple words. I wouldn't worry if doesn't know her ABCs well at this point.

These are my suggestions for getting the ABCs to be more a part of your daughter's life. Read BOOKS--that is the number one way to boost your child's early literacy. We read books with my son every single night. I just bought this great book this week from the Commercial Press for about $30 HKD:

Elephant Alphabet (Animal Pals Early Learning Series), Animal Pals Early Learning Series, Gene Yates, Book - Barnes & Noble

I also recommend this TV show which you can find online or on YouTube:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW1og3lh57k"]YouTube- Word World - Full Episode Part 1/2- Runaway O (Cat Nap) WordWorld[/nomedia]

My son is really excited about words and letters after watching this show and actually can point out different letters in a word.

I wouldn't get too caught up in making sure your daughter can say the ABCs in order at this point. Many children are "mixed up" about words and letter order. When I was really little my teacher thought I had dyslexia because I would spell everything backward--but eventually I "grew out of it" and now I am quite good with words and letters (journalist) so don't stress yourself over it.

Remember, at this stage, learning should be fun and not forced--if you start forcing your daughter to do something she will begin to see it as something she HAS TO DO instead of something she GETS TO DO so just make it as fun and low-stress as possible. If you can make it into a game (i.e. "Let's see who can say the alphabet the fastest! Ready, set, go!) then you'll keep her attention.

aussie mum is offline Registered User
    i don't see any point in knowing them in sequence. i would say the important thing is recognising them and beginning to understand that girl begins with 'g' etc.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    there really is no point in memorizing from A-Z, like aussie mum says, it's more about recognization. the focus really be placed on oral communication at this stage, there are certain sounds that children won't get till 7-8 years old...here's a website you might find interesting about milestones for language development...

The Basics: Milestones in Your Child's Speech and Language Development [NIDCD Health Information]

OX Jess is offline Registered User
    Make it fun for your little girl... If you really want her to learn by singing the song, make the singing fun & interesting for her. Never make it a 'task' for her! A kid at this age don't need a A-Z memorising task! Kids won't learn anything unless they find it fun & interesting. Don't force upon her. If she doesn't like to sing, let her go and do other things she likes! She can't sign LMNOP,, so what? Don't show any frustration towards her... Even if she shows it on herself, cheer her up and tell her she's done so well and nevermind the rest!

My view is: like what assuiemum & lesliefu said, I won't mind her not being able to know the A-Z seqence, not really a must for 3-year-old. It's better if she can recognise the letters and understands Apple begins with a "A". Take it easy! When she goes to school, she will know it....

MilkMonster is offline Registered User
    i think one of the developmental milestones for older kids is to be able to say the ABCs WITHOUT singing it. My 3.5yr old can recognise the letters but still can't sing LMNOP...sounds like "N, O, N, O, P" I agree with the above post, that recognizing the letters is really all that matters.

..I mean as an adult I can read and write but can't seem to get lyrics of songs right when i sing them either LOL :)

rani is offline Administrator
    Also being able to recognize the letters in his/her name. I remember D's kindy teachers were impressed he could do this at 3. He learnt this accidentally. I had password protected my computer at home, and he was determined to get on, and figured out the password was his name :)
    Last edited by rani; 04-12-2010 at 03:16 PM.

OX Jess is offline Registered User
    Nice one Rani :)) I can picture he must be delighted to figure out the password was his name!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast