Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

public vs private?

Aava.Wong is offline Registered User
    i gave birth in QMH last year too and as the above posters, i agree that QMH is ok at handling foreigners. they were mega busy while i was in the labour room but the doc stayed with me (and hubby) throughout the 3 hours and only got one nurse to help her at the final stage. i got offered an epidural without me asking for it but one of my friends didn't get it even when she asked for it...i dont know what happened there!

definitely better to get some extra private checkups done along with tsan yuk appointments.

@banane76, a nurse told me the same thing - labour is supposed to be painful...!!?!!

fhurley is offline Registered User
    I had my baby in Prince of Wales in 2008 and I cannot speak highly enough of the staff there. My partner and I speak not Cantonese and the care was excellent. They tried to follow my birth plan to the letter, dimming the lights and making sure I didn't have an episiotomy. They helped me with breastfeeding and I was allowed to have my baby with me for the duration of my stay in hospital. (You can have your baby taken to the nursery if you wish to rest but I didn't want that) I had private ob visits before hand mainly for the scan pictures and lack of waiting time but was very pleased with the service offered by POW except at the front desk where they can be a bit abrupt.
    The thing that swung it for me is that both POW and Queen Mary have the neo natal units. If you go private and something happens to the baby and it needs neo natal care it will be taken to one of these hospitals and you will pay private prices for all the care it receives there as well as your own hospital bill ! No Thanks. My whole birth cost $150 - the car park fees were more $180 !! and I was confident throughout that we were both very well looked after. The only thing missing was the private luxury room....and my choice of Dr for delivery.

matrix1 is offline Registered User
    "The thing that swung it for me is that both POW and Queen Mary have the neo natal units. If you go private and something happens to the baby and it needs neo natal care it will be taken to one of these hospitals and you will pay private prices for all the care it receives there as well as your own hospital bill ! N" interesting to hear...
    ...many thanks to everyone, its been great to hear everyone's responses on this forum

blessed is offline Registered User
    we are deciding between private or public as well... currently more incline to go the public route due to minimum insurance coverage

one main concern is i would love to stick with my private obgyn but she will no longer be able to take me as private patient for checkups if i decide to deliver at public...

* lesliefu, will you deliver at QMH or private hospital as you are seeing both the private doctor at QMH and outside? and you mean the private doctor @ QMH won't see you on regular basis like what they do through the public system?

banane76 is offline Registered User
    Blessed: Really? I had a private doctor for my checkups and he was ok with us going the public route. You would think it didn't matter, but I guess they can do whatever they wish.

Aava: Was the nurse very young looking? She looked about 18 to me when she told me that and quite rude to me and my husband. Almost everyone else at least tried to be sympathetic.

I didn't originally want an epidural, but I eventually did after over 40 hours of back labour. It helped my sleep a bit and rest up for the actual pushing part. The midwives were GREAT! Doctor was only there for the checks after being induced at 4 hours and 8 hours after and then only to check in with the midwife after the delivery. We were glad we were at QMH because our baby had some signs of pneumonia and she had to stay in special care for a week. Our total bill for me and her was 800hkd, which is less than my antenatal check ups with a private doctor!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I recommend Dr Patrick Chan if you want to go to a private obgyn but still deliver at the public hospital. In my previous pregnancy, I went to a few different doctors and they always were obviously not happy with me going to them for check ups but not for the delivery - but Dr Chan was completely different, even wanting to work around my public hospital visits etc. I ended up being transferred to another doctor due to complications that were outside his realm of expertise - but I will definitely be going back to him for future pregnancies, and I recommend him wholeheartedly for anyone who wants to go public but with private prenatal visits.

Enza is offline Registered User
    Hello,

My husband, daughter and I will be moving to HK in early-mid May. At that time I will be 30 weeks pregnant. I am looking to find an OB/GYN or Lic. Midwife in Hong Kong so that I can set up an appointment now. Given our arrival time, it looks as though the Hong Kong insurance offered through my husband's company will not cover my "pre-existing" pregnancy. So, it seems that for us QMH would be best. Any suggestions for doctors/midwives, or tips for getting this all set up?

Any insight ill be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    Hi Nicolejoy, so did you deliver in a public hospital in the end, even with the complications? I am looking to go public also but I am in a situation where I will need a c-section because of previous pelvic injuries. The reason I am concernd about public is that you don't see the same doctor so I worry they will not know enough about my history and my particular needs on the day of delivery. Am I worrying unnecessarily?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast