Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

public vs private?

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    blessed...

i was supposed to deliver at QMH under the private section because I wanted to be 100% I knew who delivered my baby (bad experience the 1st time with a substitute doctor). but the doctor (under the private section) doesn't give me regular check ups and could not guarantee she would deliver for me...saying she might be tied up with other scans at tsan yuk, etc. etc. to make things worse she is on holiday when I am due! so I have now changed completely and will deliver at sanatorium with Dr Lam - who has guaranteed that he will deliver for me whenever I am due! i have insurance, which helps, but the main reason I choose private from the beginning was so that I could guarantee who delivered my baby! i think it is ridiculous that if is stayed at QMH (paying private fees) that I might end up with a "substitute" doctor (don't care how good they are - I'm just not psychologically prepared to go through that again with number 2)...didn't think it was too professional on the part of the doctor....
    Last edited by lesliefu; 04-22-2010 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Liquorice View Post
    Hi Nicolejoy, so did you deliver in a public hospital in the end, even with the complications? I am looking to go public also but I am in a situation where I will need a c-section because of previous pelvic injuries. The reason I am concernd about public is that you don't see the same doctor so I worry they will not know enough about my history and my particular needs on the day of delivery. Am I worrying unnecessarily?
    liquorice...i would stick with one doctor if I were in your shoes...just to be sure and safe.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquorice View Post
    Hi Nicolejoy, so did you deliver in a public hospital in the end, even with the complications? I am looking to go public also but I am in a situation where I will need a c-section because of previous pelvic injuries. The reason I am concernd about public is that you don't see the same doctor so I worry they will not know enough about my history and my particular needs on the day of delivery. Am I worrying unnecessarily?
    I haven't delivered this bub yet (due in July) but I will deliver at QMH. Unlike your situation, the complications are due to the baby rather than me - I'm perfectly healthy, but the baby is not. I find that QMH does take very good care of complicated situations though, and I really believe that even if money was not an issue, that QMH would be the best place in HK for this bub to be born.

If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't necessarily go private just because of your situation - I know that you may not have the same doctor, but I do think that they will take into account your history and all that. If I were you, I would schedule an appointment with both the public system and a private doc and see how you feel about both...

It's funny because in my situation with this bub, I have seen both public and private doctors, and I feel like the quality of care for me in this situation is better at the public hospital. I know that the comfort level will not be as high, but really the best thing for the bub is the medical care and that is better at QMH...

banane76 is offline Registered User
    Hi Enza! Congrats and welcome to Hong Kong (when you get here). There's a private and a public system in Hong Kong. If you go through private, you would need your HKID and it's significantly cheaper than the private system. I just had my baby in Dec through the public hospital, but I did most of my checkups at a private clinic with an OBGYN. You can also do these checkups for free (except scans I think) at the public clinic...just longer waits. We went with Dr. Patrick Chan and he's located in Central. He's really great and didn't mind that we were going to have the baby in the public hospital (I guess some doctors aren't as happy when you go that way). He's very patient and we found that he was pretty reasonable with his fees. I wen to QMH and you don't get to choose your doctor or midwives. If you can hold out as long as possible til delivery, the less time you spend there...we went too early and had to spend a lot of time in the general ward. The midwives were wonderful there and unless you have complications, will deliver your baby.

We also went for a checkup with the midwives at Annerley. They have a doppler machine to hear the heartbeat and do everything but the ultrasound. They also do postnatal visits which are sooooo nice and you don't have to leave your home.

We were very happy with QMH. Our total bill (including my daughter's one week stay in special care) was 800hkd.

actually - I'd stick with the same doctor and at QMH (most ideally) I tried doing that this time BUT the doctor is away on holiday when I have my baby...sucks being me! that happened with #1 too - what's with me and doctors going on holiday?!?

futuredad is offline Registered User
    Hi,

my wife delivered last march in QM. First son was delivered in private hospital. Overall, was better in public and staff was pretty nice with us. Could hold my baby 2hrs after his birth. Best of all, cost us hkd 400 compared with 20K in private :)
    However, for follow up before birth, this is not that great. Doctor do not have time to really follow up and were asking us questions that they should have on their records. We had private doctors to conduct regular check up.

Basically, private doctors + public delivery was great for us.

aicitel is offline Registered User
    Hi Banane76

I'm in my 28 week pregnancy, I just moved To Hong Kong one week ago. I went to Queen Mary Hospital to register me and they sent to my to Tsan Yuk Hospital for checkups . I would like to know your expirience in the Tsan Yuk Hospital because i went there and just speak with the personal in front desk was hard . I'm not chinese speaker. Do you think i should go also with a private doctor for a check ups? . I was living in California so almost all the pregancy test and the 20 week scan i have already. What do you recommend ?

papa2b is offline Registered User
    We did QMH & Private Check-Ups for Baby 1 and also now for Baby 2. We are seeing Dr. Doo and he is supportive regardless you are delivering with him or in public.

Our experiences in Tsan Yuk have been fairly positive - in fact they actually provided much more information that we got at Annerley which i thought was a bit of a waste of time - especially if you're a first time parent. Birth breathing classes etc were actually much more thorough in Tsan Yuk as opposed to the 30 mins and 2 photocopied handouts at Annerley. Just my two cents.....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast