Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Finger food for 9 month old who is milk-allergic

Winterplace03 is offline Registered User

Finger food for 9 month old who is milk-allergic

My son is 9 months old now and he is milk-allergic. Right now, I am feeding him congee (with pureed veg. and/or fruit) twice a day and soy-based milk three times a day.

I am thinking to give him other things to try. Anyone has experience to share on finding finger food for cow-milk-allergic baby? When I am searching for finger food in the supermarket, i am always afraid that the stuff may contain trace of milk and my son's reaction to milk is very severe. so I am trying to be as cautious as possible on this matter. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

lesliefu is offline Registered User

does your son have some teeth? I'm thinking you could make your own - steamed broccoli / carrots...or bananas, really soft pear, soft (slightly steamed) apple, avocado...things like cereal shouldn't have any cow / milk products in it like cheerios and they melt in the mouth easily....

happyvalleygirl is offline Registered User

Even if your baby does not have teeth, he will still be able to eat what lesliefu says above and more. His gums are hard enough to break down any steam-cooked veg. Also try a little poached/steam fish with mashed sweet potato. He can use his hands to feed himself if you don't mind a little mess!!

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

Any vegetables and fruit that are soft enough to chew easily (or steamed to make them that way).
    My son is the #1 fan of steamed broccoli - he can`t get enough of it.
    You have a lot of options that are not related to dairy - just think fruit and veg.

carang is offline Registered User

ewwww... i can't stand the stuff... don't think i've ever even tried to feed it to my kids... too much like torture for me, didn't want to inflict it on my kids! LOL!

but, yes, as everyone has said: veg & fruit! those are the best snacks/finger food anyway...

Arwen is offline Registered User

City Super in Time Squares has those baby Japanese biscuits that are milk free.
    Also, the bakery there sell bread that are egg and milk free as well.

When your baby is older, you can try soy based cheese available at 360 in Landmark.

walnutlemon is offline Registered User

My son is 9 months old too and has eczema, as a result I am careful to avoid feeding him any high allergen foods eg. wheat, dairy, corn, eggs etc. Most finger biscuits suitable for babies of this age are made of wheat flour (as do almost all bread except gluten-free or wheat free ones) so I avoid that. I've found these organic rice crackers at Bumps to Babes - they come in Raspberry/Blueberry and Apple/Cinnamon flavors. No addded sugar, no added salt and importantly for me, wheat-free (rice-based). I've also found them great for helping my son learn self-feeding, he can pick up small pieces of the crackers and pop them into his mouth. Not messy at all!

mazamarie is offline Registered User

Do you have an oven? If so I make some bars for my daughter which are very easy to do.

Mash a banana add oats until it resembles a sticky dough. On a tray shape into small bars (I normally use 1-2 tablespoon per bar) and then bake for 10-12 mins at 180 degrees.

My daughter loves them and has been eating them since she was 9 months old with no teeth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast